1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math required for nuclear engineering?

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    What are some standard math courses that nuclear engineers take in college? Do they do more math than calculus 2? Do they use a lot of geometry? What are some standard math books that they will read during their math studies? In general I am referring to the nuclear engineers that work in the power area.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Here's a sample curriculum so you can judge for yourself:

http://catalog.tamu.edu/09-10_ug_catalog/look_engineering/nuclear_eng.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 14, 2015 #3

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nuclear engineering makes heavy use of advanced calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. While not part of the college curriculum, in the real world, engineering/analytical statistics is extremely important as well.

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4
    As an engineer of any type, you can almost be guaranteed that almost every one of your technical classes will be mathematically based. Some more than others, but you will definitely be exposed to mathematics from day 1 to day n.

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5
    I did not know that nuclear engineers use a lot of linear algebra and engineering statistics, thank you for letting me know friend. Do you know if nuclear engineers use much geometry?

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Linear algebra is used for solving systems of equations. Statistics is used for many purposes, particularly related to radiation detection, shielding, sampling, monte carlo, etc. Geometry is used incidentally as part of other disciplines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook