What scientist is known for making a sarcastic comment to Gladstone?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary: I forgot what it's called. It's that little thingy inside the soda machine, and it makes the soda come out.4) The supernova visible to the naked eye in 1604 was observed by Kepler. This is the same phenomenon, just with a different name.2) Soda machine spigot?4) Kepler's Star?In summary, Meniere's Disease gives rise to a disorder commonly known as vertigo. Hero of Alexandria invented Hero's formula for the area of a triangle and also created an invention that is now used by Pepsi and Coca Cola. Alan Turing committed suicide after being publicly humiliated and forced to undergo hormone therapy. Faraday is responsible for the discovery of electricity. The
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Same rules :

# no googling
# only one guess per person

1. Meniere's Disease, which affects the middle ear, gives rise to a disorder, commonly known as what ?

2. Hero of Alexandria, an ancient mathematician and inventor, gave us Hero's formula for the area of a triangle in terms of its sides. He is also credited with an invention that is now a boon to companies like Pepsi and Coca Cola.

What was the invention ?

3. Long one : In 1952, while reporting a burglary, he let on that he was having a homosexual relationship. The police arrested him and charged him with "Gross Indecency..." Following a trial, which found him guilty, he was publicly humiliated, and forced to undergo hormone therapy, which made him impotent, obese and severely depressed.On June 7, 1954, he went to his room with a jar a cyanide and an apple. He dipped the apple in the cyanide and took several bites. At the age of just forty-two, one of the true geniuses of the century commited suicide, his works, unrecognized by the world.

His last words probably were those of the Wicked Witch from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves : "Dip the apple in the brew, Let the sleeping death seep through."

Who ?

4. In 1604, Johannes Kepler studied this phenomenon which he claimed was associated with the triple conjunction of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. He calculated the periodicity of this event to be about 800 years.

How do we better know this phenomenon ?

5. A French Professor of Pathology & Anatomy, he invented a machine that he claimed was faster than what was then the standard tool in use. A highwayman, Nicholas Pelletier, was chosen for the first testing. The invention was officially accepted by the authorities in 1792.

Name the professor.

6. When Gladstone (British PM) met this physicist, he asked him whether his works would be of any use. "Yes, sir" remarked the scientist, "One day you will tax it."

Who ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
2. Hero of Alexandria, an ancient mathematician and inventor, gave us Hero's formula for the area of a triangle in terms of its sides. He is also credited with an invention that is now a boon to companies like Pepsi and Coca Cola.

What was the invention ?
This is clearly Heron, and I will try his "aeolipile".

Yes, Hero and Heron are the same person. But no, it's not the aeolipile.

Good guess though. Did you thing it was used as an aerator for Pepsi/Coke ?

5. Professor Guillotine?

3. Alan Turing

1. Vertigo?

jcsd said:
5. Professor Guillotine?
I would have guessede that too. I am trying to avoid french related questions, in order not to be considered as cheater. :redface:

But I failed with the Heron thing :cry: :confused:

6) I believe this was Faraday.

- Warren

Last edited:
Chroot, what have you done ?? :surprise: :eek:

Maybe I didn't make the rules clear enough...each person get's to take a shot at only one question(not one guess per question) until I announce a 'free for all'.

I think I was a little careless with the wording because I'd assumed you would have looked at Part I first - where the rules are clearer.

Okay, the results so far...

5. Professeur Joseph Ignace Guillotin ? Oui Monsieur jcsd. Bravo ! :biggrin:

Actually, a form of the guillotine was invented in England where it had been in use since the 12th or 13th Century. Prof. Guillotin made some modifications, but more importantly, vehemently lobbied for its use, on humanitarian grounds. The other forms of execution prevalent in France before the Revolution included hanging, and a machine that had a big wooden wheel that would break your spine.

3. Alan Turing, you say, eh ? Right-ho, matey ! :tongue:

It was not until 1974 - and the dogged determination Captain F.W Winterbotham - that the world got to hear about the folks at Bletchley Park, that damn near won the bloody war.

1. Vertigo ? The Hitchcock thriller ? Did you know that some critics believe that the entire plot of the movie is a dream by a senseless Scottie who falls from the gutter in the first scene...but I digress...

Yes, vertigo's right, MIH :smile:

Humanino, it's going to be impossible to keep the French out of Math & Science trivia. Please don't let that stop you. It most certainly will not be considered 'cheating'.

Now Chroot, your sins are alleviated by their results. You got #6 correct. It was Faraday and he was working on Electricity at the time.

People tend not to know that Faraday was an excellent analytical chemist and that he discovered Benzene.

Questions 2 and 4 remain unsolved.

Gokul43201 said:
Actually, a form of the guillotine was invented in England where it had been in use since the 12th or 13th Century. Prof. Guillotin made some modifications, but more importantly, vehemently lobbied for its use, on humanitarian grounds. The other forms of execution prevalent in France before the Revolution included hanging, and a machine that had a big wooden wheel that would break your spine.
:eek: :yuck: :surprise:
Gokul43201 said:
Humanino, it's going to be impossible to keep the French out of Math & Science trivia. Please don't let that stop you. It most certainly will not be considered 'cheating'.
Are you sure there is no way to keep those French out :wink:

No way, I'm sure. And particularly that late 18th Century gang. I don't want to name names, so I'll leave it at that.

free for all

Okay, now it's a free for all on 2 and 4. People that have guessed/answered before are back in the game. But take only one shot at each Q.

Some hints :

2. How did u get your last soda ? If that doesn't help, then you're the wrong u, sorry. :redface:

4. What special year belongs in the equivalence class of 1604 (modulo roughly 800) ? This is an unfair hint as it will help only the math folk...so I'll help more : In what other years would this phenomenon have occurred ? Does any of them jingle a bell ? :biggrin:

Now I've gone too far. :grumpy:

2) The... vending machine?

- Warren

4. So this event had to occur also in 4 AD (roughly). Could this have been the Star of Bethlehem?

Math Is Hard said:
4. So this event had to occur also in 4 AD (roughly). Could this have been the Star of Bethlehem?
I bet you're right ! It's perfectly clear now... :rolleyes: :approve:

Wow...that was quick ! :smile:

Correct on both counts !

humanino said:
I bet you're right ! It's perfectly clear now... :rolleyes: :approve:

I think it was the hint "jingle a bell" that gave it away. :smile:

Woohoo! :biggrin:

"6. When Gladstone (British PM) met this physicist, he asked him whether his works would be of any use. "Yes, sir" remarked the scientist, "One day you will tax it."

Who ?"

A terribly misleading question, since Gladstone became PM first time in 1868; Faraday had been dead for about a year then..

Too easy, that. It just came out - I couldn't stop myself.

Anyways...here's the watchamacallit...

1. Meniere's Disease, which affects the middle ear, gives rise to a disorder, commonly known as what ? VERTIGO

What was the invention ? COIN OPERATED VENDING MACHINE - FOR HOLY WATER

3. Long one : In 1952, while reporting a burglary, he let on that he was having a homosexual relationship. The police arrested him and charged him with "Gross Indecency..." Following a trial, which found him guilty, he was publicly humiliated, and forced to undergo hormone therapy, which made him impotent, obese and severely depressed.On June 7, 1954, he went to his room with a jar a cyanide and an apple. He dipped the apple in the cyanide and took several bites. At the age of just forty-two, one of the true geniuses of the century commited suicide, his works, unrecognized by the world.

His last words probably were those of the Wicked Witch from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves : "Dip the apple in the brew, Let the sleeping death seep through."

Who ? ALAN TURING

4. In 1604, Johannes Kepler studied this phenomenon which he claimed was associated with the triple conjunction of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. He calculated the periodicity of this event to be about 800 years.

How do we better know this phenomenon ?THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM

5. A French Professor of Pathology & Anatomy, he invented a machine that he claimed was faster than what was then the standard tool in use. A highwayman, Nicholas Pelletier, was chosen for the first testing. The invention was officially accepted by the authorities in 1792.

Name the professor.JOSEPH IGNACE GUILLOTIN

6. When Gladstone (British PM) met this physicist, he asked him whether his works would be of any use. "Yes, sir" remarked the scientist, "One day you will tax it."

Who ? MICHAEL FARADAY - ELECTRICITY

That's all folks !

You likee ?

:approve: :approve:

arildno said:
"6. When Gladstone (British PM) met this physicist, he asked him whether his works would be of any use. "Yes, sir" remarked the scientist, "One day you will tax it."

Who ?"

A terribly misleading question, since Gladstone became PM first time in 1868; Faraday had been dead for about a year then..

I never meant to say that Gladstone was the PM at the time of the event. I added the words in parenthesis as an afterthought just to avoid confusion between other possible Gladstones. I think Gladstone was an MP at the time - so I can claim it was a typo, eh ?

Sorry, for the screwyness (should that be 'screwiness' ?) on that one...my bad, arildno.

Gokul43201 said:
You likee ?

YES! This is a very fun game!

Most excellently done. :smile:

Thank you Gokul43201 ! :cool: :smile:

YES! This is a very fun game!

Most excellently done.

Thank you Gokul43201 !

<blush> Wow ! I didn't expect that. :smile:

I'll take that as a request for more. I hope you're all not just being polite, and praying I'll stop.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I never meant to say that Gladstone was the PM at the time of the event. I added the words in parenthesis as an afterthought just to avoid confusion between other possible Gladstones. I think Gladstone was an MP at the time - so I can claim it was a typo, eh ?

Sorry, for the screwyness (should that be 'screwiness' ?) on that one...my bad, arildno.
Not really..I wouldn't have solved it anyway..:wink:

What is "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II"?

"Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II" is a sequel to the original trivia game that focuses on questions related to mathematics, science, and technology. It is designed to test your knowledge in these areas and provide a fun and engaging way to learn more about these subjects.

Who can play "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II"?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics, science, and technology can play "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II". It is suitable for all ages and can be played individually or in groups.

How many questions are included in "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II"?

There are a total of 50 questions in "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II", divided into five categories: mathematics, biology, physics, technology, and general science. Each category has 10 questions of varying difficulty.

Is "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II" educational?

Yes, "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II" is both entertaining and educational. It covers a wide range of topics in mathematics, science, and technology, providing players with the opportunity to learn new facts and expand their knowledge in these areas.

Can I play "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II" online?

Yes, "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Part II" can be played online through various platforms and websites. It can also be played offline by downloading and printing the questions or using a trivia app.

Back