Math to astrophysics likeliness?

In summary, it is unlikely to get a msc/phd in astrophysics after a dual major in maths and applied maths. The most logical route to take is to major in physics or a double major in physics/maths. However, you need to be prepared for physics graduate school and be able to apply the material in the core undergraduate physics courses.
BHL 20
What would the chances be of getting a msc/phd in astrophysics after a dual major in maths and applied maths. Please don't just tell me to major in physics/astrophysics, i would like to know would it be likely/unlikely/what problems might there be in the transition, to know how much of a risk this would be. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmyly said:

I have already seen that thread and can i point out that the advise offered in that thread (for example taking the GRE test) is only useful for people who have already completed their primary degree. I'm still deciding which primary degree to apply for . . . .

BHL 20 said:
I have already seen that thread and can i point out that the advise offered in that thread (for example taking the GRE test) is only useful for people who have already completed their primary degree. I'm still deciding which primary degree to apply for . . . .

i don't understand what advice you want then. You specifically said "after a dual major in maths and applied maths" and "don't just tell me to major in physics/astrophysics". if you want to go into astrophysics the most logical route to take is a physics major or even a double major physics/math since astrophysics is the application of physics to astronomy. But you don't want us to tell you that, then the thread i posted answers your question about going to graduate school for non-physics degree holders.

In grad school I took a couple of courses with some astronomy grad students - they all had to take the same core graduate physics courses that the physics PhDs did. Likewise for the astrophysics PhDs that I have interviewed. So you need to be prepared for physics graduate school - that is, you need to really understand and be able to apply the material in the core undergrad physics courses. For most people that means doing a physics major - if you really want to do astrophysics in grad school it doesn't make much sense to not prepare for it during undergrad. Look at university web sites for physics/astro departments and see for yourself what the requirements are. I think you will find that the advice in the thread you were pointed to is spot on.

jason

1. What is the relationship between math and astrophysics?

Math and astrophysics are deeply intertwined and rely on each other. Math provides the language and tools for understanding the physical laws and phenomena of astrophysics. On the other hand, astrophysics provides real-world applications for mathematical concepts and theories.

2. How is math used in astrophysics?

Math is used in astrophysics to describe and predict the behavior of celestial objects and phenomena. This includes using equations and models to understand the movement of stars and galaxies, the effects of gravity and other forces, and the formation of planets and other bodies in the universe.

3. What specific branches of math are most important in astrophysics?

Astrophysics relies heavily on calculus, geometry, and linear algebra for calculations and modeling. Differential equations are also commonly used to describe physical processes such as the motion of objects in space. Statistical methods and data analysis are also crucial for analyzing and interpreting astronomical data.

4. Do you need to be a math expert to study astrophysics?

While a strong foundation in math is important for understanding astrophysics concepts, one does not necessarily need to be a math expert to study astrophysics. Many astrophysicists work in teams and collaborate with mathematicians to solve complex problems and develop new theories.

5. How has the use of math in astrophysics evolved over time?

Math has played a crucial role in the development of astrophysics as a field. In the past, basic mathematical concepts and equations were used to describe the movements of celestial bodies. However, with advancements in technology and computing, more complex mathematical models and simulations are now used to study the universe and make predictions about its behavior.