Is majoring in physics a good long-term investment?

In summary, it sounds like you're weighing your options and considering a career in physics, but you're not sure if it's the right decision for you. You should consider your long-term prospects and your chances of finding a job in your desired field. You should also be aware of the many other career paths available to you.
Jangru
Alright so I am 3 quarters into high school, and my marks are looking pretty optimistic. They're not the best, but definitely above average (88% overall). I really enjoy physics and math, and I find physics especially very intriguing. Throughout high school, I have wanted to major in physics in university. But now I have been thinking about it, and I do not see if physics will be a beneficial long-term investment in my life. Yes, I love the subject and my ideal future would be a research scientist, but I am not sure what my outlook is on getting a research job at a university (as not many positions are available), or if it would pay my bills/debt. I really want to do what I would do if I didn't have to worry about money, but money isn't something that is easy to come by in my situation. Any suggestions on if I should follow my passion? And how would I get by in life following said passion? Anything helps, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jangru said:
Alright so I am 3 quarters into high school, and my marks are looking pretty optimistic. They're not the best, but definitely above average (88% overall). I really enjoy physics and math, and I find physics especially very intriguing. Throughout high school, I have wanted to major in physics in university. But now I have been thinking about it, and I do not see if physics will be a beneficial long-term investment in my life. Yes, I love the subject and my ideal future would be a research scientist, but I am not sure what my outlook is on getting a research job at a university (as not many positions are available), or if it would pay my bills/debt. I really want to do what I would do if I didn't have to worry about money, but money isn't something that is easy to come by in my situation. Any suggestions on if I should follow my passion? And how would I get by in life following said passion? Anything helps, thanks.
Earning an income and a STABLE income is a good thing to do. Best chance for this, if you like or believe you like Physics, is earn a university degree in Engineering or Computer Science.

symbolipoint said:
Earning an income and a STABLE income is a good thing to do. Best chance for this, if you like or believe you like Physics, is earn a university degree in Engineering or Computer Science.
I prefer computer science over engineering. So would it be a good idea to major in physics and minor in computer science?

Jangru said:
I prefer computer science over engineering. So would it be a good idea to major in physics and minor in computer science?
At this early stage of the topic discussion, wait for other members to comment on any advice or suggestions, especially regarding your original post on this topic.

To: OP. Just to confirm, are you talking about the US (if not, what country)?

Last edited:
We get this kind of question a lot in these forums. Try searching around a little and you'll see very similar questions and responses.

It sounds to me like you're already well aware of how difficult it is to actually get a job as a professor. Even if you obtain a PhD in physics, the odds are stacked against you. And it's not a case of simply just being "good enough." The pool of PhD graduates tends to be full of highly talented, motivated, dedicated and just generally smart people. That's not to say it's impossible, or that it's not worth trying. Unfortunately there just isn't a lot of room in the ivory tower of academia.

But that said, it's important to make decisions based on data, and be aware of what you're actually deciding.

At this point, you're not making a decision on your career specifically. You're facing a decision about your education. While the two are linked, choosing to study physics does not mean you will go on to be either a physicist or unemployed. Choosing engineering does not necessarily mean that you'll end up working as an engineer. And choosing computer science is not a meal ticket to lifelong employment as a programmer.

You might want to check out some of the statistics that the AIP keeps, specifically with respect to employment if you choose to study physics:
https://www.aip.org/statistics

Another important point is that studying physics isn't just limited to what is often portrayed in popular science books. There are professional branches of physics like medical physics or geophysics, for example, that can lead to very rewarding careers.

Likes DeBangis21, Scrumhalf and symbolipoint

Related to Is majoring in physics a good long-term investment?

What career opportunities are available for someone majoring in physics?

As a physics major, you can pursue a variety of careers such as research scientist, engineering consultant, data analyst, or even a patent attorney. Physics graduates are also highly sought after in fields such as finance, healthcare, and education.

Is majoring in physics a financially stable choice in the long run?

Yes, majoring in physics can be a financially stable choice in the long run. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 in May 2020. Additionally, the demand for physicists is expected to grow by 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

What skills will I gain from majoring in physics?

Majoring in physics will provide you with a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and mathematical skills. You will also learn how to conduct experiments, analyze data, and communicate your findings effectively, which are all valuable skills in any career.

Are there any downsides to majoring in physics?

One downside to majoring in physics is that it can be a challenging and demanding subject, requiring a lot of time and effort. However, if you are passionate about physics and have a strong work ethic, these challenges can be overcome. Additionally, the job market for physicists can be competitive, so it may take some time to find a job after graduation.

Can I use my physics degree in other fields besides science?

Yes, a physics degree can be applied to various industries outside of science. The skills and knowledge gained from a physics major, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, are highly transferable to other fields such as finance, engineering, and technology. Many employers value the analytical and technical skills that physics graduates possess and are open to hiring them for a wide range of roles.