Experimental physicist and investment banking?

In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of someone with a background in experimental physics being hired as an investment banker (quant). It is mentioned that quants are primarily programmers and that having experience with C++ is important. The market for quants has changed since the financial collapse and it is recommended to be familiar with current trends in the field. Additionally, having business, financial, or economics training can increase chances of being hired as a quant.
AlanKirby
Hi, I'm looking to do an experimental physics PhD (currently on an experimental Masters program), and I was wondering what my chances of getting into investment banking (quant) are.

I am aware that theoretical physicists are primed for such a position, but what about an experimentalist? I can't change my degree now, and obviously can't do a theoretical PhD. I also know that experience with C++ is important and I have experience with Java and so I will learn C++ myself.

The thing is that I don't have the same mathematical background, so what are my chances of getting into investment banking, and what can I do from now on to help myself to end up there?

Thanks greatly for any responses!

P.s. I do love physics and I do want to do a PhD anyway, I just don't want to try for academia or to go straight into industry. I want to do a PhD! But then i want to make money (i admit it...), for which i have my reasons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'll say this: Quants are, with very few exceptions, programmers. They are other things too, but they are almost always also programmers, and can't function without it.

So when you go apply, you're going to be discussing your programming experience a lot.

Also, make sure you're familiar with trends in the work quants do since the financial collapse. The market for quants is very different today than it was in 2007.

Likes AlanKirby
Thank you greatly for your reply! Can I please just ask what are those 'other things' that Quants are typically. And in what ways could I improve/add to my programming experience in a way that they would take notice of.

Thanks again.

My husband is not an investment banker, but he is a quant in risk analysis for a bank. He is primarily a programmer as was already mentioned, focusing on SAS and Visual Basic. He did his PhD in economics using R. He works with people of various backgrounds, especially mathematics-focused. Seems to be mostly statisticians with business training. With my physics PhD math training, I know what he's talking about when he mentions statistics, but I don't know all the various tests and uses that a statistician would know.

I'm not sure if this is what Locrian meant about the market changing, but the market for quants is hotter than its ever been in the risk modeling and analysis field. My husband's department didn't exist 3 years ago; it was created after the Dodd Frank Act. Turn-over in his group is very high because his co-workers get job offers with higher incomes at other banks frequently. He has gotten a few unsolicited messages on LinkedIn himself. If you can add some kind of business, financial, or economics training to your physics curriculum, you'll do fine.

Likes AlanKirby and Locrian

1. What is an experimental physicist?

An experimental physicist is a scientist who conducts experiments and observes physical phenomena in order to understand and explain the natural world. They use a combination of theory, mathematical models, and advanced technology to test hypotheses and make discoveries.

2. What is the role of an experimental physicist in investment banking?

Experimental physicists can play a valuable role in investment banking by using their analytical skills and scientific knowledge to analyze and interpret data, create mathematical models, and develop innovative solutions. They can also help with risk assessment and forecasting in investment strategies.

3. What skills are important for an experimental physicist in investment banking?

In addition to their scientific knowledge, experimental physicists in investment banking need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work with large amounts of data. They should also have a solid understanding of financial markets and investment strategies.

4. Can someone with a background in experimental physics transition to a career in investment banking?

Yes, someone with a background in experimental physics can transition to a career in investment banking with the right skills and training. Many investment banks actively seek out individuals with diverse backgrounds and a strong analytical mindset.

5. What are the potential challenges of being an experimental physicist in investment banking?

One potential challenge is the steep learning curve for understanding financial markets and investment strategies. Additionally, the fast-paced and high-pressure environment of investment banking may be a significant adjustment for someone coming from a research-based background. It may also require a shift in mindset from pure scientific thinking to considering the financial implications of decisions.