Mathematica partial differentiation weirdness

In summary, the speaker is talking about using Mathematica to check their homework and encountering unexpected answers when taking partial derivatives. They discuss how the "1." in the answer indicates that it is an approximate value. They also provide an example of how changing the value of "a" affects the answer.
kahwawashay1
I am checking my homework with mathematica, but sometimes when I write stuff like
D[(x/((x^2 - y^2)^0.5)), y] , which is supposed to give me the partial derivative of x/((x^2 - y^2)^0.5) with respect to y, i get answer like:

(1. x y)/(x^2 - y^2)^1.5

which is right, except for the random "1."

as another example, when I differentiate above function with respect to x, I again get an answer with "1.x^2" in a numerator.

what on Earth is this "1." ?

Physics news on Phys.org
1x=x

In this case the 1. means that the answer is approximate, as your .5 is approximate.

D[(x/((x^2 - y^2)^a)), y] =(2a x y)/(x^2 - y^2)^(a+1)

if a=1/2
2a=1
a+1=1.5

if it is only approximately true
a=.5
2a=1.
1+a=1.5

1. What is Mathematica partial differentiation weirdness?

Mathematica partial differentiation weirdness refers to unexpected results or behavior that may occur when using the built-in functions for partial differentiation in Mathematica. This can include incorrect answers, unexpected simplifications, or errors.

2. Why does Mathematica sometimes give incorrect results when using partial differentiation?

There are a few potential reasons for this. One possibility is that the function being differentiated is not properly defined or has a typo. Another possibility is that the partial derivative is being taken with respect to the wrong variable. It is also possible that there is a bug in the Mathematica software.

3. How can I avoid encountering Mathematica partial differentiation weirdness?

To avoid unexpected results, it is important to double-check the function being differentiated and the variables used in the partial derivative. It can also be helpful to break down the expression into smaller parts and check the results at each step. Additionally, keeping the Mathematica software updated can help prevent bugs from affecting the results.

4. Can I report a bug in Mathematica partial differentiation functions?

Yes, you can report bugs or unexpected behavior in Mathematica partial differentiation functions to the Wolfram support team. They will investigate the issue and work towards resolving it in future updates of the software.

5. Are there any alternative methods for performing partial differentiation in Mathematica?

Yes, there are alternative methods for performing partial differentiation in Mathematica. These include using the D function, which allows for more control over the differentiation process, or using the Series function to expand the expression and then differentiate term by term. It is also possible to define custom functions for partial differentiation using the Derivative command.