Mathematical appraisal of Pascal's Wager

• Thread starter 2AlphaMales?!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, Pascal's Wager is the idea that being religious is worth any finite cost because the potential consequence of not being religious (eternal damnation) is of infinite magnitude. However, there are flaws in this logic and it may not hold up mathematically due to ill-defined variables. It is important to remain strictly academic when discussing this topic to avoid falling into theistic vs atheistic arguments. One suggestion for further research is game theory.
2AlphaMales?!
For those who aren't familiar with it, Pascal's[/PLAIN] [Broken] Wager, in it's bluntest manifestation, is the idea that being religious (Christian or Muslim) is worth any finite cost, because the possible consequence (eternal damnation) of not being religious is of infinite magnitude.

There are several problems with Pascal's Wager although they're...conversational, and it's potency remains for many.

Is it possible to define the failings (or, indeed, the irrefutable truths) of Pascal's wager in terms of mathematics? My knowledge of maths is limited to say the least, but I'm thinking in terms of ill defined operands/independant variables as negating the valididty of the finite VS infinite quandry...perhaps.

On th other hand, perhaps the "infinite" component of the equation really does render all opposing factors inefectual - again, my maths is poor so I'm not sure of the mathematical definition of infinity, if, indeed, it is a mathematical concept at all and not a philosophical one.

Any thoughts about this would be very welcome, although I should probably remind that one need remain strictly academic in appraisal of this issue so as not to get into theism VS atheism arguments which could fall foul of the forum rules...I think : /...this topic is just about the mathematical realities of Pascal's Wager, not asserting that there is god or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
2AlphaMales?! said:
For those who aren't familiar with it, Pascal's[/PLAIN] [Broken] Wager, in it's bluntest manifestation, is the idea that being religious (Christian or Muslim) is worth any finite cost, because the possible consequence (eternal damnation) of not being religious is of infinite magnitude.

There are several problems with Pascal's Wager although they're...conversational, and it's potency remains for many.

Is it possible to define the failings (or, indeed, the irrefutable truths) of Pascal's wager in terms of mathematics? My knowledge of maths is limited to say the least, but I'm thinking in terms of ill defined operands/independant variables as negating the valididty of the finite VS infinite quandry...perhaps.

On th other hand, perhaps the "infinite" component of the equation really does render all opposing factors inefectual - again, my maths is poor so I'm not sure of the mathematical definition of infinity, if, indeed, it is a mathematical concept at all and not a philosophical one.

Any thoughts about this would be very welcome, although I should probably remind that one need remain strictly academic in appraisal of this issue so as not to get into theism VS atheism arguments which could fall foul of the forum rules...I think : /...this topic is just about the mathematical realities of Pascal's Wager, not asserting that there is god or not.

By the same logic, you don't want to piss off the flying spaghetti monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Religious debates are not allowed on this forum.

If you're interested in questions like this, then you should probably research game theory a bit.

1. What is Pascal's Wager?

Pascal's Wager is a philosophical argument that suggests that it is rational for a person to believe in God, even if there is no evidence to support this belief. The argument is based on the potential consequences of belief or disbelief in God.

2. How does mathematical appraisal factor into Pascal's Wager?

Mathematical appraisal involves using mathematical equations and probabilities to analyze the potential outcomes of Pascal's Wager. This allows for a more objective evaluation of the argument.

3. What are the criticisms of using mathematical appraisal for Pascal's Wager?

Some critics argue that mathematical appraisal reduces the complexity of the argument and oversimplifies the decision-making process. Others argue that the probabilities used in the equations are subjective and cannot accurately represent the potential outcomes.

4. What are the main equations used in the mathematical appraisal of Pascal's Wager?

The main equations used include the expected value equation, which calculates the potential outcomes of belief or disbelief in God, and the decision matrix, which weighs the potential gains and losses of each decision.

5. What are the limitations of using mathematical appraisal for Pascal's Wager?

One limitation is that it assumes a binary choice between belief and disbelief in God, when in reality there are many different belief systems and interpretations of God. Additionally, the equations do not take into account personal beliefs, experiences, and emotions that may influence a person's decision.