Mathematical induction problem

In summary, it is possible to arrange the numbers 1, 2, ... n in a row so that the average of any two of these numbers never appears between them. This can be proven by showing that it suffices to prove this fact when n is a power of 2, and then using mathematical induction to prove the result for all n. The suggested method is to order the evens and odds separately and remove any numbers that are not needed from the list of 2^k numbers.
pc2-brazil

Homework Statement

Show that it is possible to arrange the numbers 1, 2, ... n in a row so that the average of any two of these numbers never appears between them. [Hint: Show that it suffices to prove this fact when n is a power of 2. Then use mathematical induction to prove the result when n is a power of 2.]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using the following scheme to arrange the numbers: everytime a new number (n) is added to the list, I first put it at the end of the list. Then, I look for a previous number (m) to see whether (n+m)/2 is between n and m; if it is, then I put n before (n+m)/2.

For n = 2:
1, 2
For n = 3:
(3 + 1)/2 = 2; therefore, I put 3 before 2:
1, 3, 2
For n = 4:
4 can be put in the end of the list.
1, 3, 2, 4
For n = 5:
(5 + 1)/2 = 3; therefore, I put 5 before 3.
1, 5, 3, 2, 4
For n = 6: 1, 5, 3, 2, 6, 4
For n = 7: 1, 5, 3, 2, 7, 6, 4
For n = 8: 1, 5, 3, 2, 7, 6, 4, 8
For n = 9: 1, 9, 5, 3, 2, 7, 6, 4, 8
For n = 10: 1, 9, 5, 3, 2, 7, 10, 6, 4, 8
And so on.

I don't see any useful patterns here. I'm not sure why it only has to be proven when n is a power of two. The only pattern I see here is that the greatest power of two can always be put at the end of the list (in this case, until n = 3, 2 is at the end of the list; from n = 4 to n = 7, 4 is at the end of the list; starting from n = 8, 8 remains at the end of the list; and so on), but I don't know if this is helpful.
Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have n numbers then there is a k such that 2^k is greater then n. Remove the numbers you don't need from the list of 2^k numbers. And I do see a trend in your lists, the odd numbers and the even numbers are tending to fall into two different groups. Can you think of a way to order the evens and odds separately to do the induction?

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to establish a statement or formula for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if it is true for any arbitrary natural number, it must also be true for the next one.

2. How is mathematical induction used to solve problems?

Mathematical induction is commonly used in mathematics to prove statements or formulas that involve natural numbers. It is particularly useful for proving statements about sequences, series, and divisibility.

3. What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction states that if a statement or formula is true for the first natural number, and if it can be shown that whenever it is true for one natural number, it must also be true for the next one, then it is true for all natural numbers.

4. Can mathematical induction be used in other branches of mathematics?

Yes, mathematical induction can be applied to other branches of mathematics such as algebra, calculus, and geometry. It is a powerful tool for proving statements and formulas involving natural numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical induction?

While mathematical induction is a useful method of proof, it can only be applied to statements or formulas that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used for real numbers, complex numbers, or other types of mathematical objects.