Mathematical induction question

In summary, even if a and b are real numbers with 0 < b < a, if n is a positive integer, then a^n - b^n \leq na^{n-1}(a-b).
pc2-brazil

Homework Statement

Suppose a and b are real numbers with 0 < b < a. Show that, if n is a positive integer, then
[tex]a^n - b^n \leq na^{n-1}(a-b)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to show this by induction.
Let P(n) be the proposition that [itex]a^n - b^n \leq na^{n-1}(a-b)[/itex]
I've already verified that P(1) is true, which completes the basis step.
Inductive step:
I must show that, if P(k), then P(k+1).
So, I first assume that this is true for an arbitrary k: [itex]a^k - b^k \leq ka^{k-1}(a-b)[/itex]
Then, I must show that, if P(k) is true, it follows that [itex]a^{k+1} - b^{k+1} \leq (k+1)a^k(a-b)[/itex].
This is where I'm having trouble.
I'm trying to find that [itex]a^{k+1} - b^{k+1}[/itex] is less than or equal to an expression involving [itex]a^k - b^k[/itex], so that I can use the expression for P(k) to derive an inequality for [itex]a^{k+1} - b^{k+1}[/itex].
I've tried several ways, like trying to rewrite [itex]a^{k+1} - b^{k+1}[/itex] as [itex]aa^k - bb^{k}[/itex] and then writing that [itex]aa^k - bb^k \geq aa^k - ab^k = a(a^k - b^k)[/itex] (since a > b), but this doesn't help, because I'm looking for something that [itex]a^{k+1} - b^{k+1}[/itex] is less than or equal to, not greater than or equal to.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: nevermind. i though i had it but i did not

Last edited:
i had one thought, which may or may not be helpful.

if b < a, then a = b + c for some positive number c.

so then your problem becomes:

[tex](b+c)^n - b^n \leq n(b+c)^{n-1}c[/tex]

now expand the powers of b+c with the binomial formula.

It can be instructive to see how the inequality works for the first few values of n. This isn't good enough for a proof, but it may give you some ideas for the proof.

For n=2:
[itex]\displaystyle a^2-b^2\ \ ?\,\leq\,? \ \ 2a^1(a-b)[/itex]

Factor the left side.

[itex]\displaystyle (a-b)(a+b)\ \ ?\,\leq\,? \ \ 2a(a-b)[/itex]

Of course, (a+b) < 2a because a < b .

So, this case doesn't appear to need induction.​

For n=3:
We have a somewhat similar result with the difference of cubes giving a3-b3 = (a-b)(a2+ab+b2). Then the inequality holds if a2+ab+b2 ≤ 3a2, and this is true for a < b. Again, this doesn't require induction.​

For general n:
Did you know that [itex]\displaystyle a^n-b^n=(a-b)(a^{n-1}+a^{n-2}b+a^{n-3}b^{2}+\dots+a^{((n-1)-k)}\,b^{k}+\dots +a^{2}b^{n+3}+a\,b^{n-2}+b^{n-1})\,?[/itex]

Each of the n terms in the last factor is less than or equal to an-1.
For instance: [itex]\displaystyle a^{12}-b^{12}=(a-b)(a^{11}+a^{10}b+a^{9}b^{2}+\dots+a^{5}\,b^{6}+ \dots +a^{2}b^{9}+a\,b^{10}+b^{11})[/itex]​

Building on Sammy's post, you might find it easier to put x = b/a, where 0<x<1

Use polynomial long division to see that for positive integral n,

[tex](1-x^n) = (1-x)(1+x+x^2+...x^{n-1})[/tex]

Alternatively you can just multiply the terms on the RHS, cancel out lots of adjacent terms and end up with the LHS. This is one of the polynomial identities which it's really good to know.

Now,

[tex]1+x+x^2+...x^{n-1}[/tex] has n terms, each of which is less than or equal to 1. Hence the whole sum is less than or equal to n.

So,

[tex]a^n - b^n = a^n(1 - x^n) = a^n(1-x)(1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}) = a(1-x).a^{n-1}.(1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}) = (a-b).a^{n-1}.(1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}) \leq (a-b).n.a^{n-1}[/tex]

and you're done.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
It can be instructive to see how the inequality works for the first few values of n. This isn't good enough for a proof, but it may give you some ideas for the proof.

For n=2:
[itex]\displaystyle a^2-b^2\ \ ?\,\leq\,? \ \ 2a^1(a-b)[/itex]

Factor the left side.

[itex]\displaystyle (a-b)(a+b)\ \ ?\,\leq\,? \ \ 2a(a-b)[/itex]

Of course, (a+b) < 2a because a < b .

So, this case doesn't appear to need induction.​

For n=3:
We have a somewhat similar result with the difference of cubes giving a3-b3 = (a-b)(a2+ab+b2). Then the inequality holds if a2+ab+b2 ≤ 3a2, and this is true for a < b. Again, this doesn't require induction.​

For general n:
Did you know that [itex]\displaystyle a^n-b^n=(a-b)(a^{n-1}+a^{n-2}b+a^{n-3}b^{2}+\dots+a^{((n-1)-k)}\,b^{k}+\dots +a^{2}b^{n+3}+a\,b^{n-2}+b^{n-1})\,?[/itex]

Each of the n terms in the last factor is less than or equal to an-1.
For instance: [itex]\displaystyle a^{12}-b^{12}=(a-b)(a^{11}+a^{10}b+a^{9}b^{2}+\dots+a^{5}\,b^{6}+ \dots +a^{2}b^{9}+a\,b^{10}+b^{11})[/itex]​
Very interesting idea.
I knew that result for an - bn, but I didn't think of using it.
This leads directly to the desired result, not requiring induction.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for one natural number, and if it is also true for the next natural number, then it is true for all natural numbers.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by breaking down a statement into a base case and an inductive step. The base case is typically the statement for the smallest natural number, usually 0 or 1. The inductive step then shows that if the statement is true for one natural number, it is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until it can be shown that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What is the difference between strong induction and weak induction?

The difference between strong and weak induction lies in the inductive step. In strong induction, the inductive step assumes the statement is true for all natural numbers up to and including the one being considered. In weak induction, the inductive step only assumes the statement is true for the previous natural number. Strong induction is often used when the statement is more complex or when the inductive hypothesis only applies to the previous natural number.

4. What are the common mistakes when using mathematical induction?

One common mistake when using mathematical induction is to assume that the statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving the base case. Another mistake is to assume that the statement is true without considering the inductive step. It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction in order to properly prove a statement.

5. In what areas of mathematics is mathematical induction commonly used?

Mathematical induction is commonly used in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, combinatorics, and discrete mathematics. It is also used in calculus to prove properties of sequences and series. Induction is a powerful tool in mathematics and has many applications in both pure and applied mathematics.