Proving n3 + n < 3n for n >= 4 using Mathematical Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality n3 + n < 3n for all n >= 4 using mathematical induction. The interlocutors go through the steps of the proof, with one questioning if they are using the induction hypothesis correctly. The other confirms that they are and suggests a trick to compare both sides of the inequality to prove it for all n > 4.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

show n3 + n < 3n for all n >= 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I.H : n3 + n < n for all n >= 4

3(n3 + n) < 3(3n)
then (3n+1) = 3 x 3 n
> 3((n3) + n ) by I.H
> (n+1)3 + (n+1)

if we show 3(n3 + n ) - [(n+1)3 + (n+1)] > 0 by subbin in 4 which is n >= 4, does it suffice as proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does.

> 3((n3) + n ) by I.H
I am still unsure if I got it right...

I said in my induction hypothesis that, n3 + n < 3n
but while I am trying to prove that p(k+1) works for all k,
I think I am using assuming this line... which is the p(k+1) that I am trying to prove. 3(n3 + n) < 3(3n) by Induction Hypothesis.

so technically I am using what I need to prove to prove my question... ahaha
im just confused, can someone check my work please, thank you.

[tex]3^{n+1}=3\cdot 3^n>3(n^3+n)[/tex]
so you need to prove:
[tex]3(n^3+n)>(n+1)^3+(n+1)[/tex]
and then:
[tex]3^{n+1}>(n+1)^3+(n+1)[/tex]
Is this what you mean?

I don't see where you have proven it for n= 6.

ok I think i figured out the trick.
I expand both sides, but on the left side i make
n3 + n3 + n3 + 3n and compare it to the right side term by term to prove that its greater for all n > 4.

am I right with this approach?

Yes, you are.

1. What is Mathematical Induction?

Mathematical Induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement or formula is true for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is proven to be true for the first natural number, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for a particular natural number, then it is also true for the next natural number.

2. How is Mathematical Induction different from other proof techniques?

Mathematical Induction is different from other proof techniques because it is specifically used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. Other proof techniques, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, can be used for more general cases.

3. What is the importance of Mathematical Induction in mathematics?

Mathematical Induction is an important tool in mathematics because it allows us to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers, which is a fundamental part of many mathematical theories and concepts. It also helps in understanding the structure and patterns of natural numbers.

4. Can Mathematical Induction be applied to other types of numbers?

While Mathematical Induction is primarily used for natural numbers, it can also be applied to other types of numbers such as integers or real numbers. However, the proof process may be slightly different and may require additional steps to account for the different properties of these numbers.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Mathematical Induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Mathematical Induction include assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving the base case, skipping steps in the inductive step, and using incorrect or inconsistent notation. It is important to carefully follow the steps of Mathematical Induction and to double check all calculations and assumptions to ensure a valid proof.