Mathematical Name of this Space

In summary: This can be mathematically modeled in an Euclidean space. In summary, the ball exists in a four-dimensional space, with three spatial dimensions and one temporal dimension, and can be mathematically modeled in an Euclidean space.
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
What is the mathematical name of the space that I am living in?
I am surrounded by Space and so I am curious to know what the name of this Space is. Is this Space given any name by a Mathematician? I suspect that this Space may be called Euclidean Space because Euclidean Space knows how to present point in three-dimensions. Euclidean Space talks about three-dimensions. Euclidean Space can tell me how to put a point in three-dimensional Space.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you live in Euclidean space.

Math_QED said:
Yes, you live in Euclidean space.
Unless he takes a flight, then he lives on a manifold.

And if he is rich enough to go to space, he will live in spacetime.

Euclid - Newton/Riemann - Einstein ... and everybody is looking to become the next one in that row :smile:

Last edited:
Likes member 587159
Newtonian mechanics uses an Euclidean space. Special relativity uses a Minkowski space. In general relativity we have a Minkowski space locally, but the global structure is more complicated.

Likes etotheipi and FactChecker
Frankly, your question makes no sense! You say "I am surrounded by Space" and since your are a physical object, you are talking about physical space! No, that space is NOT given any name by a Mathematician. Physics is not Mathematics! With apologies to Math_QED physical space is NOT "Euclidean space" although as a mathematical model it might be a good approximation. And would say the same about Minkowski space- as a mathematical model perhaps a better approximation but still an approximation and a model, not a real physical thing.

Likes roam, Svein and Stephen Tashi
HallsofIvy said:
I am surrounded by Space
If I say that: There is a ball that is bouncing.
What would be the name of the Space?

Thanks.

pairofstrings said:

Thanks.
Living room?

It can be mathematically modeled in an Euclidean space.

pairofstrings said:
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

pairofstrings said:
What would be the name of the Space?.
The ball exists in a space of three spatial dimensions and one temporal (time measurement) dimension. As the ball moves up or down, its position in the spatial dimensions changes, and the time changes.

1. What is the "Mathematical Name of this Space"?

The "Mathematical Name of this Space" refers to a mathematical concept known as a topological space. It is a set of points with a defined structure that allows for the study of continuity and convergence.

2. How is a topological space defined?

A topological space is defined by a set of points and a collection of subsets of those points, known as open sets. These open sets satisfy certain axioms, such as being closed under finite intersections and arbitrary unions, and allow for the study of continuity and convergence.

3. What is the importance of studying topological spaces?

Studying topological spaces allows for a deeper understanding of the properties of continuous functions and their behavior. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and economics.

4. How is a topological space different from a metric space?

A metric space is a type of topological space that has an additional structure known as a metric, which measures the distance between points. In a topological space, the concept of distance is not necessary, and the focus is on the overall structure of the space.

5. Can you give an example of a topological space?

One example of a topological space is the real line, which consists of all real numbers and is defined by the standard topology. Other examples include the Euclidean space, the unit circle, and the Cantor set.