1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Physics as a graduate program

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

I was wondering whether atypical preparation is needed for admission to a mathematical physics program? i.e. Do you need to take Real Analysis, Topology, and other "rigorous" mathematics even if you are only a physics undergrad, or will such mathematics be taught from the ground up in graduate school.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2014 #2
    There was a professor doing mathematical physics at my undergraduate uni. and he would make you take independent studies on topology, diff geometry, special functions, etc, during the summer terms, but you were expected to know the basics, i.e, analysis, algebra, etc. I guess the best you can do is double major in mathematics? But I guess that also depends on where you are applying to.

http://www.phys.vt.edu/~ersharpe/advising.html

I think you can send him an e-mail and he'll be more than happy to answer.

4. Jun 24, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Garrity's All the Mathematics You Missed But Need To Know For Graduate School might be useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook