Mathematical Physics as a graduate program

• Thread starter Convuler
  • Start date
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether atypical preparation is needed for admission to a mathematical physics program? i.e. Do you need to take Real Analysis, Topology, and other "rigorous" mathematics even if you are only a physics undergrad, or will such mathematics be taught from the ground up in graduate school.

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

There was a professor doing mathematical physics at my undergraduate uni. and he would make you take independent studies on topology, diff geometry, special functions, etc, during the summer terms, but you were expected to know the basics, i.e, analysis, algebra, etc. I guess the best you can do is double major in mathematics? But I guess that also depends on where you are applying to.

http://www.phys.vt.edu/~ersharpe/advising.html

I think you can send him an e-mail and he'll be more than happy to answer.

pasmith
Homework Helper
Garrity's All the Mathematics You Missed But Need To Know For Graduate School might be useful.

Beginning graduate students in mathematics and other quantitative subjects are expected to have a daunting breadth of mathematical knowledge. But few have such a background. This book, first published in 2002, will help students to see the broad outline of mathematics and to fill in the gaps in their knowledge. The author explains the basic points and a few key results of all the most important undergraduate topics in mathematics, emphasizing the intuitions behind the subject. The topics include linear algebra, vector calculus, differential geometry, real analysis, point-set topology, probability, complex analysis, abstract algebra, and more. An annotated bibliography then offers a guide to further reading and to more rigorous foundations. This book will be an essential resource for advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students in mathematics, the physical sciences, engineering, computer science, statistics, and economics who need to quickly learn some serious mathematics.