Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Proofs

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

If I have these two statements given to me, and I have to determine whether they are true or not.

a) [tex] \forall x \epsilon R [/tex] [tex]\exists y \epsilon R [/tex] [tex](y^2 = x^2 + 1)[/tex]
    b) [tex]\exists y \epsilon R [/tex] [tex]\forall x \epsilon R [/tex] [tex](y^2 = x^2 + 1) [/tex]

Now, to me, they both mean exactly the same thing, and both can be shown to be false by setting x = 2, then y is not a real number.

However, seeing that the question specifically asks to prove just those two statements, I'm wondering if perhaps I am interpreting them wrong and they actually mean two different things.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Robbie

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

If x = 2 then [itex]y^2 = 2^2 + 1 \Leftrightarrow y = \pm \sqrt 5 [/itex]. Those are real numbers, no?

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    lol... yeah...
    I was thinking I was looking for rationals only... whoops...

Still, is there any difference in the two statements themselves?

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Try a simpler one to see how the order of the quantifiers makes a difference:

[tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R} \ \exists y \in \mathbb{R} \ (x = y)[/tex]

This says that for every real x that I choose, I can find at least one real y that is equal to that x. This is obviously true, since x = x.

[tex]\exists y \in \mathbb{R} \ \forall x \in \mathbb{R} \ (x = y)[/tex]

This says that I can find at least one real y that is equal to every real x. Well, there's more than one real number, so this is false.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?