1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Proofs

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

If I have these two statements given to me, and I have to determine whether they are true or not.

a) [tex] \forall x \epsilon R [/tex] [tex]\exists y \epsilon R [/tex] [tex](y^2 = x^2 + 1)[/tex]
    b) [tex]\exists y \epsilon R [/tex] [tex]\forall x \epsilon R [/tex] [tex](y^2 = x^2 + 1) [/tex]

Now, to me, they both mean exactly the same thing, and both can be shown to be false by setting x = 2, then y is not a real number.

However, seeing that the question specifically asks to prove just those two statements, I'm wondering if perhaps I am interpreting them wrong and they actually mean two different things.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Robbie

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

If x = 2 then [itex]y^2 = 2^2 + 1 \Leftrightarrow y = \pm \sqrt 5 [/itex]. Those are real numbers, no?

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    lol... yeah...
    I was thinking I was looking for rationals only... whoops...

Still, is there any difference in the two statements themselves?

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Try a simpler one to see how the order of the quantifiers makes a difference:

[tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R} \ \exists y \in \mathbb{R} \ (x = y)[/tex]

This says that for every real x that I choose, I can find at least one real y that is equal to that x. This is obviously true, since x = x.

[tex]\exists y \in \mathbb{R} \ \forall x \in \mathbb{R} \ (x = y)[/tex]

This says that I can find at least one real y that is equal to every real x. Well, there's more than one real number, so this is false.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?