1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical treatment of analog electronics

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a book on analog electronics that doesn't shy away from the math, but isn't too advanced for my level (electronics-wise, not math-wise).

For reference, I've gone through Floyd's Electronics Fundamentals (although I don't necessarily understand everything in the book), and I thought the math was a bit lacking, e.g. the charging/discharging equations of a capacitor were just given out of the blue. I want a book that would teach me this stuff in a mathematical way (a mix of intuitive and mathematical treatments would be great, but I'm not really holding my breath...). As for my math, I know multivariable/vector calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2
    Check out the book by Millmann and Halkias.
  4. Feb 9, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not familiar with Floyd's book, but it sounds like it tries to avoid really using differential equations very much. If this is true, then any of the standard circuits books will likely be fine. If you are at a university, find out what the standard texts are for classes, and perhaps look in the library to see what books fit your taste.

Personally, I learned from the book by Kelley and Nichols, which was teh text used when I took the intro circuits class. It covers the basics very clearly, and also has a reasonable number of worked examples. I took differential equations at the same time as the circuits class and was fine, so your math background is not a problem. It is old-fashioned, in that it doesn't have glossy color pages and such, but it does include some discussion of the physics and the math. It is out of print, but used copies can be found online for a few dollars, so if you don't like it you aren't out much money.
  5. Feb 12, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the replies.

Both books seem to be along the lines of what I was looking for, so all that's left for me now is to decide - I've taken a look at a preview of the Millman/Halkias book, but can't find one for the Kelley/Nichols book yet.

I actually took an electronics course at my current institution (2-year community college) that used Floyd as the textbook. I'm guessing the math wasn't extensive mainly because it was aimed at computer scientists who were looking for an intro to computer hardware (the college doesn't have too many engineering courses around...).

Thanks again.
  6. May 6, 2010 #5
    there is one by leon chua too it gives in great details the formulation of diff eqs in second order non linear and linear circuits
  7. May 6, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you are referring to "linear and nonlinear circuits" by chua, desoer and kuh. It is really good but quite advanced - for juniors at Berkeley. That was an optional book in a course I took (I didn't buy it - but I wish I had! ) so I am a little familiar.

A little lower level book is even older, "basic circuit theory" by desoer and kuh, which is also junior level. It basically assumes you have had calculus-based circuits already. It is a really nice treatment of the subject.

I thought the OP was looking for more of a true intro book, though, so both of these seem too advanced.

8. May 7, 2010 #7
    yes thats the one i was referring to..i guess ur right its a little advanced for a junior level student :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook