Mathematicians and physicists, do you get intimidated by equations?

• Thread starter oahz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary: I would flip back to the beginning.:rofl: :rofl:no I haven't but if that happened to you, I'm sure I'd be like... "uhhh what just happened?" and then I would flip back to the beginning.
oahz
suppose you are just about to read a book about some new mathematical subject.

but you didn't start at page one. instead you open up to the middle of the book.

and of course in that page you see lines upon lines of equations and symbols.

do you get intimidated?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Why would I?

That's pretty much the way I do read math texts (not quite at random; I peruse the index for the parts that I care about and open to those, then back search if I encounter terms or concepts I'm not familiar with).

oahz said:

but you didn't start at page one. instead you open up to the middle of the book.

do you get intimidated?

I do get intimidated if I do that. I always like to read a book from page 1 and continue on. I don't feel comfortable if I just start in the middle of the book, unless I know the subject already.

Of course, intimidated doesn't mean I put the book down. It usually motivates me to understand it.

Whenever I do that I get excited because it looks intense :P
I tell myself I'm going to be able to understand it soon. Then I start the book. Like micromass I like to start on page 1. But I do look ahead just to see what I will be learning

Not really, but when I'm just starting a new problem that seems difficult I sometimes get intimidated by it.

dipole said:
Not really, but when I'm just starting a new problem that seems difficult I sometimes get intimidated by it.
I identify with this more so than what was stated in the OP. If the problem looks difficult / challenging and I am just starting it, I immediately get very scared.

I'm far from a mathematician but unknown equations and symbols makes me more curious than intimidated.Of course there's a point where you seriously lack the background necessary to even try to understand them , in that case you just tell yourself "one day I'll understand them" and move on to more self-teachable material.

What is more likely to intimidate me is if I'm starting a problem , understand all the notations , and struggle to understand it anyway.

Last edited:
oahz said:

do you get intimidated?

I used to, but I think my astrophysics class cured that somehow. I used to look at some of the stuff wannabeNewton talks about...and even his signature and I would think "holy living hell." But now when I look at his signature I feel like it makes sense...even though I have not the slightest idea of its application :biggrin:

One equation that really intimidated me just upon sight was the equation for the nuclear energy generation rate for the proton-proton chain. But once I learned how it is applied, I could not believe how easy it was to understand.

I think "sweet in just 200 pages I'll know all this stuff"

Then 10 pages later I never read the book again :/ but that's a motivational issue

lolol

HeLiXe said:
...and even his signature and I would think "holy living hell." But now when I look at his signature I feel like it makes sense...even though I have not the slightest idea of its application :biggrin:
I have changed it for your viewing pleasure trololol (as random as the equation may seem, it is actually quite important in proving a theorem that allows you to then construct the most general form of the metric tensor for a stationary, axisymmetric space-time whose axial and time-like killing vector fields satisfy a few specific conditions).

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
I have changed it for your viewing pleasure trololol

eeeeevil:devil:

Well looking at this one...
it looks like it has something to do with either loops or matrices, probability functions (due to ψ), and spatial distance :biggrin:

Last edited:
HeLiXe said:
eeeeevil:devil:

Well looking at this one...
it looks like it has something to do with either loops or matrices, probability functions (due to ψ), and spatial distance :biggrin:
It's my order number from starbucks loolz

Have you tried randomly flipping to a page in a QFT book? I did and I was like O.O and then I was like T_T and then I was like X.X

WannabeNewton said:
It's my order number from starbucks loolz

Have you tried randomly flipping to a page in a QFT book? I did and I was like O.O and then I was like T_T and then I was like X.X

:rofl:

no I haven't but if that happened to you, I'm sure I'd be like x_X

HeLiXe said:
:rofl:

no I haven't but if that happened to you, I'm sure I'd be like x_X
X_x x_x x_X >.< >.> <.< ^.^ V.V ... ok I'll stop now (yes I'm that bored lol)

lololol V.V

I love equations, and I love textbooks. There's something wondrous about having so much information available. I love having hard copies of textbooks. It's tremendously fun to be able to open up a book and learn.

1. Do mathematicians and physicists find equations intimidating?

It depends on the individual, but in general, most mathematicians and physicists have a thorough understanding of equations and are not intimidated by them. They are trained to break down complex equations and understand their meaning and implications.

2. How do mathematicians and physicists learn to handle complex equations?

Mathematicians and physicists undergo years of rigorous training and education to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to handle complex equations. They learn various techniques such as algebra, calculus, and differential equations to solve equations of varying levels of complexity.

3. Is it common for mathematicians and physicists to make mistakes when working with equations?

Yes, it is common for mathematicians and physicists to make mistakes when working with equations. However, they have developed methods to check their work and catch any errors. In fact, making mistakes and learning from them is an essential part of the scientific process.

4. Are there any specific equations that are particularly challenging for mathematicians and physicists?

There are certainly equations that are more complex and challenging than others, but it ultimately depends on the individual's level of expertise and familiarity with the specific equation. Some equations may be more challenging for a mathematician, while others may be more difficult for a physicist.

5. How do mathematicians and physicists ensure the accuracy of their equations?

Mathematicians and physicists use various techniques and tools to ensure the accuracy of their equations. These can include double-checking their work, using computer software, and collaborating with colleagues to verify their results. They also rely on peer review and replication of experiments to confirm the validity of their equations.