Mathematicians who are ill

• Thread starter Borogoves
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the prevalence of mental illness among mathematicians and how it may be linked to their creative abilities. Examples of mathematicians who suffered from mental illness, such as John Nash, Paul Erdos, and Kurt Godel, are mentioned. Some argue that the excessive obsession with logic and patterns in math may contribute to the development of mental disorders, while others believe it is simply a coincidence. The conversation also touches on the lack of understanding and treatment for mental illness in the past and how it may have affected these mathematicians. However, it is debated whether treatment would have impacted their abilities. The conversation also includes a personal account of someone with OCD and clarifies that it is not just being "obsessive" but
This is going to be a late reply,
but I speculate that it is the initial possession of mental disturbances (problems/issue..if that's what you call them) that brings people to math, art, philosophy, and the such.
honestrosewater said:
Alright, I give up. I don't think this thread is anywhere near PF's standards.
:frown:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am a physicist with an MS. I developed schizoaffective disorder (an alternation between schizophrenic and bipolar symptoms) in my sophomore year at Yale and had to leave, continuing my studies at home near D. C. 27 years later, I have worked 10 years for the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, volunteered 19 years at the local nature center and 5 years as group leader and visitor at a local nursing home, all of where I apply my genius for social concerns, as opposed to the hard sciences. Along the way, I came to the conclusion that I would feel better and contribute more conscientiously by working closely with sentient beings, not designing missiles and ship hulls. My medicines - antipychotic, mood stabilizer, antidepressant, and minor tranquilizer - help me survive, maintain creativity and enjoy myself more than ever.

Tom Cruise, the elite self-appointed scientist, threatens the progress many with mental illnesses have made. He's a person who has never met an illness he could not overcome - yet. If the body can suffer, Mr. Cruise, why not the brain?

It isn't the topic that I object to, it's the passing off of opinion and speculation as undisputed fact, repeated false claims, and general misunderstandings and unwillingness to learn or be corrected. This stuff normally gets a thread closed or sent to (the soon to be closed) GD.
bomba923 said:
This is going to be a late reply,
but I speculate that it is the initial possession of mental disturbances (problems/issue..if that's what you call them) that brings people to math, art, philosophy, and the such.
Yes, I think a disorder might cause people to avoid and/or seek certain professions. For instance, if someone has a snake phobia, they might avoid working with snakes as a profession, unless they are willing to treat their phobia or accept their suffering. Or someone with a disorder might seek a profession that invloves treating or curing their or similar disorders or otherwise helping people that suffer from them, as Loren Booda seems to have done.
You're talking about people becoming "academics", right? Were you thinking of anything in particular? For instance, being able to work alone much of the time, being more suited to "introverted" personalities, involving little physical risk, etc. Were you thinking their disorders make them actively seek these professions, or do you think they are steered into these professions by trying to avoid other professions?

honestrosewater said:
You're talking about people becoming "academics", right? Were you thinking of anything in particular? For instance, being able to work alone much of the time, being more suited to "introverted" personalities, involving little physical risk, etc.

Well, I admit I wrote assuming:frown: that "introversion"+"working alone" were associated with academics--but that is wrong when you think about it:smile:.
Were you thinking their disorders make them actively seek these professions, or do you think they are steered into these professions by trying to avoid other professions?
*A little bit of both. The idea was that possessing certain mental disturbances/problems/issues would encourage people to pursue careers with good structure or order or safety, like the nice subjects of mathematics, physics (orderly), philosophy-->fields favoring "rational" analytical ability that would hold back "irrational" fears/emotions/mental-disturbances. Yes, disorders may steer people away from becoming great motivational speakers or world leaders, yet the time spent on the Mathematics, physics, philosophy (actually more than that) would also encourage them within those fields.

Notice I did not examine any evidence, nor define my viewpoints too well :redface:. But this is only speculation, by no means even a reasoned judgment! So:shy:, what say you?

BTW, my objections weren't directed at you, and though the things I mentioned do bother me personally, it's PF's standards that I was concerned about and that compelled me to try to make corrections where I could.
bomba923 said:
Well, I admit I wrote assuming:frown: that "introversion"+"working alone" were associated with academics--but that is wrong when you think about it:smile:.
Well, they're things I casually associate with academics too. You can at least determine what the working conditions of certain professions are, so you're off to a decent start. Which "personality types" are more suited to which professions can be fuzzier, but there are at least some straightforward situations, like specific phobias and jobs involving repeated exposure to the objects of those phobias.
I think the hardest part is generalizing about how people react to and deal with their disorders. For example, you could have four people with almost identical symptoms, each pair having almost identical personalities, and see them all deal with their disorders in different ways. Some people seek treatment right away, some wait, some have supportive family and friends, some don't, some opt for the easiest route, some are willing to suffer for something more important, and so on.
And I don't know if you are arguing for this, but others were talking about a connection not just with the profession chosen but with the person's talent or ability in that profession.
*A little bit of both. The idea was that possessing certain mental disturbances/problems/issues would encourage people to pursue careers with good structure or order or safety, like the nice subjects of mathematics, physics (orderly), philosophy-->fields favoring "rational" analytical ability that would hold back "irrational" fears/emotions/mental-disturbances. Yes, disorders may steer people away from becoming great motivational speakers or world leaders, yet the time spent on the Mathematics, physics, philosophy (actually more than that) would also encourage them within those fields.
Yeah, this is what I meant above- the problems with generalizing about how people deal. For instance, here's a personal account from .

Ira, a forty-eight-year-old man, has suffered from OCD since he was nineteen years old. The following excerpt from his survey response provides us with an answer [about the core of OCD].
"I work in the city, and it's such a filthy place. If I could have my way, I wouldn't go there, that way I wouldn't have to go near so many dirty people- people sneezing, coughing, touching everything- but that's where my law firm is. During the day, I'm not too bad. I have dirty clothes for wearing outside and decontaminated clothes for home. I make sure to keep my hands away from my mouth during the day, and I'll only go out to lunch at certain clean restaurants.
But when I get home, that's when the ordeal begins. I make everyone in the family come into the house through the laundry room. That way they can take their clothes off down there, go straight to the downstairs shower to wash, and then put on house clothes."

Ira goes on to describe his laundry procedure, taking a shower first, washing "outside" clothes three times, changing gloves and rewashing his hands each time, cleaning the outside of the washer with ammonia during the last two cycles, and running the empty washer twice before washing the "house" clothes. He also describes similar rituals for dealing with groceries and things his family brings home, like his kid's homework. He obviously has contamination obsessions (among them, his family getting AIDS) and compulsions. BTW, he says, "I know none of this makes sense, but..." Now, would you guess that this person works at a law firm? I wonder how often he has to shake hands with clients. And he has a family. Little kids are always dirty. Remember, he's been suffering since he was nineteen, so- assuming he is actually a lawyer- he even went through law school with OCD.
There are many other stories out there, which you can just google for, to get an idea of how varied and specific people's symptoms can be.
For just OCD alone, the same book claims worldwide studies place lifetime prevalence rates at 2-3%, about 1 in every 40 people. You could look for other studies on other disorders and compare those with the percentage of people working in academics to get an idea of any limits it puts on your theory.
Notice I did not examine any evidence, nor define my viewpoints too well :redface:. But this is only speculation, by no means even a reasoned judgment! So:shy:, what say you?
Gee, I hope I didn't scare you. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
By no means am I an expert on OCD, but I found that whenever I had harmful thoughts (not as intense as those of OCD--but speculatively disturbing), I would just force some kind of mental distraction under the guise of logical or philosophical objectivity-->e.g.,
1) just think of something else
2) concentrate hard on that "something else"
3) Verbalize in my head why returning back to the disturbing thought is illogical/unreasonable-->especially since that "something else" is not any less significant a topic for momentary thinking as the original thought
4) Convince myself that both thoughts lack objective significance
5) (Philosophize further)...or focus on "good" thoughts-->or the most convenient topics at hand for peace of mind
----------------------
Not really OCD, but when alone and without any immediate or planned tasks at hand (or the convenience of carrying out any task of relative importance)...things (disturbing thoughts) just tend to get into my head (sometimes preventing relaxation, unless I might reason myself into it:shy:)
-----------------------------------
honestrosewater said:
Gee, I hope I didn't scare you. :biggrin:
Nah, its good; it seems I can't help but speculate!(almost about anything!):smile:

Last edited:
Well, I'm not qualified to give serious advice. But just FYI, the content of the thoughts or images isn't relevant- it's how they make you feel and how you respond to them- and for a diagnosis, how much they interfere with your life. Occasional disturbing thoughts and anxiety is normal. Pathological anxiety differs from normal anxiety in being unreasonably intense, disruptive, uncontrollable, exaggerated, irrational, and persistent.
For OCD in particular, http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1654.htm lists some of the biological aspects, but classical and operant conditioning also play a major role in its development and maintenance- and not only in OCD, but in other anxiety disorders as well. I can't find a thorough link (books explain much more), but here's a little:
While learning a conditioned response slows dramatically in Alzheimer patients, it appears to do just the opposite in people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and people with autism, finds Indiana University's Steinmetz and his colleagues.

In a series of studies Steinmetz conducted with Indiana University's Dick McFall, PhD, JoAnne Tracy, PhD, Sushmita Ghose and Tamara Stecher, the researchers found that under some conditions people with symptoms of OCD condition three times faster than people without OCD.

"Normally, people show consistent conditioned responses after about 10 to 15 trials," says Steinmetz. "Our OCD subjects showed consistent conditioned responses after as few as three to five trials."

This finding implies that people with OCD make associations between neutral and aversive stimuli more quickly than people without the disorder, says Steinmetz. That's consistent with theories that people with OCD, and perhaps more general anxiety disorders, may suffer from a general susceptibility to aversive conditioning, he says.

- http://www.apa.org/monitor/mar99/alzh.html [Broken]
They're talking about classical conditioning. It's also thought that compulsions are acquired and maintained through operant conditioning (done to avoid punishment (anxiety, obsessions)). For someone with OCD, avoidance behavior and developing neutralizing rituals is exactly what usually happens and is exacty the wrong thing to do. Someone put the basic idea of Exposure and Response Prevention (a main treatment for OCD) as "If x frightens you, then we'll help you overcome your fear by confronting and never avoiding x." So you end up having to "unlearn" your conditioned responses. It's very interesting to me to think of having a biological predisposition to actually learn a specific behavior. Well, it's complicated, but if you happen to read a an example of how the process might go, it's surprisingly, well, predictable.
Anyway, if you can't easily dismiss the thoughts, I think it's just generally a good idea to try to confront them instead of avoiding or inventing rituals to neutralize them. :smile:

People love to be in denial that the majority of great mathematicians did in fact suffer from at least a bit of mental illness. Some mathematicians with signs of mental illness severe enough to cause some type of disability: Cantor, Godel, Ramanujan, Isaac Newton. Russell had suffered major depression. Taniyama committed suicide. Nikola Tesla deserves mention (OCD), though he was an inventor. Albert Einstein also, though he wasn't a mathematician strictly speaking.
If you don't believe me, inform yourself.

I believe that both the mental strain of pushing the mind to its limits and the difficulties of society, which is dominated by the mediocre, introduce risk of mental illness commensurate with intellectual capability. This has more to do with intelligence than with mathematicians, I would guess, but I'm not entirely sure.

My friend and I joked that Cantor seemed to have thought so hard and long about infinity that he scrambled his brain, which is why he ended up in a mental institution for several years of his life.

I'm a math major and I have a mental illness, if that means anything. So I feel better knowing that I'm not alone in feeling lonely and frustrated with the world, and in distorting reality through my overrationalization.

Overall though even if the mental illnesses of many mathematicians were covered up or overlooked, it's clear that not all were unhappy or bipolar (Leonhard Euler in particular seemed like a happy guy!) Madness doesn't produce mathematics, but mathematicians often suffer mental or emotional disorders. I think they suffer emotional disorders before doing math or psychosis afterwards.

More on the subject:
http://www.lomont.org/Math/Talks/Mathematics%20and%20Insanity.pdf
http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/39/11/36.full [Broken]

Nyxie said:
People love to be in denial that the majority of great mathematicians did in fact suffer from at least a bit of mental illness. Some mathematicians with signs of mental illness severe enough to cause some type of disability: Cantor, Godel, Ramanujan, Isaac Newton. Russell had suffered major depression. Taniyama committed suicide. Nikola Tesla deserves mention (OCD), though he was an inventor. Albert Einstein also, though he wasn't a mathematician strictly speaking.
If you don't believe me, inform yourself.

I believe that both the mental strain of pushing the mind to its limits and the difficulties of society, which is dominated by the mediocre, introduce risk of mental illness commensurate with intellectual capability. This has more to do with intelligence than with mathematicians, I would guess, but I'm not entirely sure.

My friend and I joked that Cantor seemed to have thought so hard and long about infinity that he scrambled his brain, which is why he ended up in a mental institution for several years of his life.

I'm a math major and I have a mental illness, if that means anything. So I feel better knowing that I'm not alone in feeling lonely and frustrated with the world, and in distorting reality through my overrationalization.

Overall though even if the mental illnesses of many mathematicians were covered up or overlooked, it's clear that not all were unhappy or bipolar (Leonhard Euler in particular seemed like a happy guy!) Madness doesn't produce mathematics, but mathematicians often suffer mental or emotional disorders. I think they suffer emotional disorders before doing math or psychosis afterwards.

More on the subject:
http://www.lomont.org/Math/Talks/Mathematics%20and%20Insanity.pdf
http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/39/11/36.full [Broken]

Of course some mathematicians suffer from a mental illness. But the point is, do you have evidence that mental illness are somehow more common amond mathematicians than among other people? I don't immediately believe this... The only disease which does seem to happen more among mathematicians seems to be schizophrenia, but even then, this is just a correlation and not a causation.

But aside from psychosis, there has not been shown a link between mathematical abilities and diseases like OCD, depression, bipolar,...

NewScientist said:
. to be a bit poetic 'There is a fine line between genius and insanity'.

I prefer this version:

"There is very little difference between genius and insanity - but genius has its limits."

Extreme mental strain precluded my illness, as it did for very many scientists, mathematicians, philosophers and intellectuals. I think there is a link, much the way you can "fry" a computer with information and processing overload. I experienced this, and no one can tell me that my brain strain had nothing to do with the illness.

We don't understand the brain well enough to say for sure, but studies generally find that intellectual people may be more prone to such illness. There is good evidence, but it remains inconclusive.

Nyxie said:
Extreme mental strain precluded my illness, as it did for very many scientists, mathematicians, philosophers and intellectuals.
Surely this isn't what you meant to say! "Precluded" means "prevented".

I think there is a link, much the way you can "fry" a computer with information and processing overload. I experienced this, and no one can tell me that my brain strain had nothing to do with the illness.

We don't understand the brain well enough to say for sure, but studies generally find that intellectual people may be more prone to such illness. There is good evidence, but it remains inconclusive.

HallsofIvy said:
Surely this isn't what you meant to say! "Precluded" means "prevented".

Lol! Uh, scratch that, reverse it. :redface:

preceded?

In the meantime, Vasistha Narayan Singh had nationalistic dreams and thought of doing his matribhoomi, Bharat, proud; rather that stay on in US as his HOD and NASA wanted him to do. He returned to India and worked at ISI Cal, IIT K and TIFR Bombay. His parents got him married to an Army Officer's Daughter with some good dowry. This army officer was from Jaipur. Due to reasons unknown, marriage did not work out and his wife left him after sometime to never come back again to him. This left him heartbroken and made his condition worse. Soon after that, He lost his mental balance and was admitted to Mental Hospital, Kanke, Ranchi. But, Dr Jagannath Mishra got him out of Kanke as he had to get some other person admitted there, in the VIP ward. He did go to Merutt hospital and after that he ran away. He suffers from Schizonfrania. He has been treated by NIMHANS Bangalore also but not much details are available. His family did not have enough money to support his treatment and Bihar Govt threw him out of Kanke which made his condition worst. It appears that he fled from Merut Mental Hospital and was untraceable for many years until someone from his village saw him as a ragpicker in Chapra in mid 90s and informed his family.

Borogoves said:
Why is it that many mathematicians in the past who have made significantly profound contributions to the world of math, actually suffered from quite severe mental health problems which we nowadays recognise as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or schizophrenia etc.

Lots of people who aren't mathematicians have the same problems.

<h2>What is the connection between mathematicians and illness?</h2><p>There is no direct connection between being a mathematician and being ill. However, like any other profession, mathematicians can also experience health issues due to factors such as stress, sedentary lifestyle, and genetics.</p><h2>Are mathematicians more prone to certain illnesses?</h2><p>There is no evidence to suggest that mathematicians are more prone to any specific illnesses. However, studies have shown that individuals with high levels of stress, which can be common in the field of mathematics, may be at a higher risk for certain health conditions.</p><h2>Do mathematicians have a higher mortality rate compared to other professions?</h2><p>There is no data to suggest that mathematicians have a higher mortality rate compared to other professions. In fact, studies have shown that individuals with higher levels of education, such as mathematicians, tend to have a longer lifespan.</p><h2>How do mathematicians manage their health while working in a sedentary profession?</h2><p>Many mathematicians make an effort to incorporate physical activity into their daily routine, whether it be through exercise breaks, standing desks, or taking walks during breaks. Additionally, practicing good posture and taking frequent breaks from sitting can also help mitigate the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle.</p><h2>What resources are available for mathematicians who are struggling with their health?</h2><p>There are various resources available for mathematicians who are struggling with their health, including counseling services, support groups, and wellness programs. It is important for mathematicians to prioritize their health and seek help when needed.</p>

What is the connection between mathematicians and illness?

There is no direct connection between being a mathematician and being ill. However, like any other profession, mathematicians can also experience health issues due to factors such as stress, sedentary lifestyle, and genetics.

Are mathematicians more prone to certain illnesses?

There is no evidence to suggest that mathematicians are more prone to any specific illnesses. However, studies have shown that individuals with high levels of stress, which can be common in the field of mathematics, may be at a higher risk for certain health conditions.

Do mathematicians have a higher mortality rate compared to other professions?

There is no data to suggest that mathematicians have a higher mortality rate compared to other professions. In fact, studies have shown that individuals with higher levels of education, such as mathematicians, tend to have a longer lifespan.

How do mathematicians manage their health while working in a sedentary profession?

Many mathematicians make an effort to incorporate physical activity into their daily routine, whether it be through exercise breaks, standing desks, or taking walks during breaks. Additionally, practicing good posture and taking frequent breaks from sitting can also help mitigate the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle.

What resources are available for mathematicians who are struggling with their health?

There are various resources available for mathematicians who are struggling with their health, including counseling services, support groups, and wellness programs. It is important for mathematicians to prioritize their health and seek help when needed.