Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics applied to Physics; textbooks.

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    Hello all.

I'm looking for a good textbook about how the mathematics, particularly calculus is applied in physics. I've done some calculus as i am a physics undergraduate student but i want to better learn the math and see how it is applied in physics as i find that a lot more interesting.

What i am essentially looking for is a math textbook, geared mostly towards calculus that gives examples of how to apply the rules of math in physics. I understand the rules are generally exactly the same but it is much nicer when the math is applied to laws and quantities that i recognise in Physics as it is is mostly the physics i am interested in.

Or a physics textbook that explains the mathematical steps and procedures that are taking place in deriving equations and solving problems.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 1, 2012 #3
    Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Boas
    Schaum's Advanced Maths for Engineers and Scientists - Spiegel
    Advanced Engineering Mathematics - Kreizig
    Mathematics of Physics and Chemistry -Margenau
    Math Methods for Physicists - Arfken

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking about getting this textbook

http: //www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

- Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering (3rd edition): A Comprehensive Guide - Hobson, Riley, Bence

Any thoughts from people who have used it ?

6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    I've actually primarily used Riley. I like it. Between that and Boas it really doesn't matter which you pick.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook