1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics applied to Physics; textbooks.

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    Hello all.

I'm looking for a good textbook about how the mathematics, particularly calculus is applied in physics. I've done some calculus as i am a physics undergraduate student but i want to better learn the math and see how it is applied in physics as i find that a lot more interesting.

What i am essentially looking for is a math textbook, geared mostly towards calculus that gives examples of how to apply the rules of math in physics. I understand the rules are generally exactly the same but it is much nicer when the math is applied to laws and quantities that i recognise in Physics as it is is mostly the physics i am interested in.

Or a physics textbook that explains the mathematical steps and procedures that are taking place in deriving equations and solving problems.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 1, 2012 #3
    Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Boas
    Schaum's Advanced Maths for Engineers and Scientists - Spiegel
    Advanced Engineering Mathematics - Kreizig
    Mathematics of Physics and Chemistry -Margenau
    Math Methods for Physicists - Arfken

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking about getting this textbook

http: //www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

- Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering (3rd edition): A Comprehensive Guide - Hobson, Riley, Bence

Any thoughts from people who have used it ?

6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    I've actually primarily used Riley. I like it. Between that and Boas it really doesn't matter which you pick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook