1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths needed for Road To Reality

1. Feb 11, 2015 #1
    I am reading the book Road to Reality by Roger Penrose.

However he goes over the maths so fast I don't understand it all, I am studying maths and Further maths and getting over 90% almost all the time so maths normally comes quite easily.

What maths topics do I have to know - the contents doesn't really help with knowing what to look up. I would much rather watch a lecture on the topics and understand them in detail.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2

Intrastellar

Gold Member

Where are you stuck at exactly ?

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3
    I'd use it more as a supplement to studying things more seriously from other books. It's still useful that way. I still had a little trouble with it when I was starting graduate school, but now I can understand most of it pretty easily after a PhD. Still, for some of the physics stuff, I would have to get physics books out to really understand. It's basically PhD level to understand the whole book, I think, so you just have to take what you can from it.

He does have some book recommendations. For the chapter on complex analysis, Penrose recommends the same thing I would, Visual Complex Analysis, written by a student of his. I'm not sure there are very good video lectures that cover all the topics. You'd be better off with books, I think.

5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

Intrastellar

Gold Member

Are you talking about the physics parts or did you have a little trouble understanding the maths parts as well ?
    @yup790 : You are probably stuck at the complex numbers stuff (complex analysis), at least that is where it got difficult for me on my first reading. This makes Visual Complex Analysis a good recommendation.

6. Feb 11, 2015 #5
    Even the math, a little bit, when I started it after finishing my undergraduate degree. There's all that index notation and advanced some differential geometry stuff that I wasn't that familiar with when I started it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook