Maths needed for Road To Reality

• Thread starter yup790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary: But I picked it up pretty quickly, it's just that some of the more abstract concepts can be a bit tough to grasp at first.@yup790 : I'm not sure what you mean by "math" - are you talking about the maths in the book or maths more generally? Even the math, a little bit, when I started it after finishing my undergraduate degree.Do you mean you struggled at first, or that you struggled at some points but eventually got the hang of it?
yup790
I am reading the book Road to Reality by Roger Penrose.

However he goes over the maths so fast I don't understand it all, I am studying maths and Further maths and getting over 90% almost all the time so maths normally comes quite easily.

What maths topics do I have to know - the contents doesn't really help with knowing what to look up. I would much rather watch a lecture on the topics and understand them in detail.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you stuck at exactly ?

I'd use it more as a supplement to studying things more seriously from other books. It's still useful that way. I still had a little trouble with it when I was starting graduate school, but now I can understand most of it pretty easily after a PhD. Still, for some of the physics stuff, I would have to get physics books out to really understand. It's basically PhD level to understand the whole book, I think, so you just have to take what you can from it.

He does have some book recommendations. For the chapter on complex analysis, Penrose recommends the same thing I would, Visual Complex Analysis, written by a student of his. I'm not sure there are very good video lectures that cover all the topics. You'd be better off with books, I think.

homeomorphic said:
I still had a little trouble with it when I was starting graduate school.
Are you talking about the physics parts or did you have a little trouble understanding the maths parts as well ?
homeomorphic said:
For the chapter on complex analysis, Penrose recommends the same thing I would, Visual Complex Analysis, written by a student of his.
@yup790 : You are probably stuck at the complex numbers stuff (complex analysis), at least that is where it got difficult for me on my first reading. This makes Visual Complex Analysis a good recommendation.

Are you talking about the physics parts or did you have a little trouble understanding the maths parts as well ?

Even the math, a little bit, when I started it after finishing my undergraduate degree. There's all that index notation and advanced some differential geometry stuff that I wasn't that familiar with when I started it.

1. What level of math is needed to understand Road To Reality?

The level of math needed to understand Road To Reality is advanced, typically at the undergraduate or graduate level. This includes knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to understand the math in Road To Reality?

While some knowledge of physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand the math in Road To Reality. The book provides thorough explanations and examples of the mathematical concepts needed to understand the physical theories.

3. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of abstract mathematical concepts to follow Road To Reality?

Yes, Road To Reality delves into abstract mathematical concepts such as topology and group theory. However, the book provides clear explanations and examples to help readers understand these concepts, so a deep understanding is not necessary.

4. Can I learn the math needed for Road To Reality on my own, or do I need a teacher?

It is possible to learn the math needed for Road To Reality on your own, but it can be challenging. Having a teacher or tutor to guide you and answer any questions can be helpful in fully understanding the concepts presented in the book.

5. Are there any specific resources or prerequisites that can help me better understand the math in Road To Reality?

A strong foundation in basic math concepts such as algebra and trigonometry is helpful for understanding the math in Road To Reality. Additionally, resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, and textbooks on specific math topics can also aid in understanding the concepts presented in the book.