Matlab: String variables to fopen()

In summary, string variables are used in the fopen() function in Matlab to specify the name and location of a file to be opened. They allow for dynamic and efficient file handling. To declare and assign a string variable, use the syntax "variable_name = 'string'". This also applies when using a variable as the file name in fopen(). If the specified file does not exist, an error will be returned, so it is important to check for its existence beforehand. There are restrictions on the characters that can be used in a string variable for fopen(), such as avoiding \ / : * ? " < > | and sticking to alphanumeric characters and underscores.
Eren10
HI

can't I pass the path of a file as a string variable to fopen() , like this:

path = 'aadada'

fopen(path)

I want to do create many files, the paths have a logic, so I can put them in cell array and than I want to pass them to fopen() , but fopen doesn't accept a string variable, this is strange.

Physics news on Phys.org
problem solved, just use char() to make characters of path

Related to Matlab: String variables to fopen()

1) What is the purpose of using string variables in fopen() in Matlab?

The fopen() function in Matlab is used to open a file for reading or writing. String variables are used as arguments in fopen() to specify the name and location of the file to be opened. This allows for more efficient and dynamic file handling in Matlab programs.

2) How do I declare and assign a string variable in Matlab?

To declare a string variable in Matlab, use the syntax "variable_name = 'string'". The single quotes are used to indicate that the data assigned to the variable is a string. For example, "name = 'John'".

3) Can I use a variable as the file name in fopen()?

Yes, you can use a string variable as the file name in fopen(). This allows for flexibility in choosing the file to be opened at runtime. Just make sure that the variable is declared and assigned a valid file name before using it in fopen().

4) What happens if the file specified in the string variable does not exist?

If the file specified in the string variable does not exist, Matlab will return an error. It is important to check for the existence of the file before trying to open it using fopen(). This can be done using the exist() function in Matlab.

5) Are there any restrictions on the characters that can be used in a string variable for fopen()?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the characters that can be used in a string variable for fopen(). For example, the file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > |. It is recommended to stick to alphanumeric characters and underscores in file names to avoid any issues.