Superposition Principle for two Voltage Sources (confusions about....)

In summary: In summary:The superposition principle fails in this situation because the two voltage sources are not exactly equal.
The Tortoise-Man
I have a question about natural limitations when the superposition principle for circuits is applicable. Possibly there is a quite elementary reason why the problem I'm going to present next fails, but up to now I haven't a precise reason why that's exactly the case. Could somebody help?

Consider the following situation which rather confuses me:
V1 V2 I circuit.png

The voltage sources ##S_1## and ##S_2## with voltages ##V_1## and ##V_2## which we assume to be equal: ##V_1= V_2 (=V)##

We want to calculate the current ##I## across the resistor ##R## using two methods: 1) usual standard way we learn to add up two parallel voltages and 2) aplication of superposition prinicple.For 1): Due to basic calucation rules for two parallel voltage sources with SAME voltage ##V_1= V_2 ## we can make a replacement:

V1 V2 I Replacement Vstrich.png

Now if we set ##I_1## to be the current in

V1 I1 Circuit.png
then ## I= 2I_1##.

For 2): On the other hand if we try to apply the superposition principle to this circuit and short out say ##S_2## then we
obtain

V1 V2 shorted Circuit.png
with ##I_{\infty}= \infty ## and ##I^1_R=0## since we have shorted ##S_2##. From symmetrical
reasons in the same game shorting out ##S_1## we obtain ##I^2_R=0## and therefore ##I= I^1_R + I^2_R =0## and that
contradicts to the considerations above.

So seemingly in this situation the superposition principle fails because 2) make no sense at experience level. But on the other hand I read that the only obstruction to use superposition principle is the requirement that the circuit/network should be linear, that's all as far I know.
This one is linear. But seemingly the application of superposition here gives absurd results.

Where is the error in my reasonings?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The second method is not allowed, because if an ideal voltage source with zero internal resistance is connected to a zero-resistance circuit, the final voltage or current cannot be determined. Since the result of multiplying zero by infinity is in an indeterminate form, this contradicts the constant voltage of an ideal voltage source.

In the first case, the resistor obeys Ohms law. I = V / R.
Half the current comes from each battery.

In practice, the two voltages are not exactly the same. There will be a high current (slight voltage difference divided by zero ohms) going from one battery to another.

Two basic rules for voltage sources:
  1. Never connect voltage sources in parallel
  2. If you must connect them in parallel, insert resistors between the voltage sources and the voltage summing point.
Take a look into one of your battery-powered devices. The batteries are always connected in series, never in parallel.

Any network that contains a loop of only voltage sources and/or capacitors is not solvable, not realistic. The same is true of any circuit node that has only current sources and/or inductors connected to it.

So, while you will get a bunch of answers from people, this is, by definition, not a solvable circuit. I suppose there is the trivial case where the sources are equal*, in which case, why not just delete one?

So let's just pause for a moment and ponder, what does it really mean to have two ideal voltage sources connected in parallel? Why would you pose this problem?

* In the general case with either capacitors or inductors, you would need the initial conditions to match perfectly. Otherwise you will have infinite solutions for some of the currents or voltages.

Svein said:
Never connect voltage sources in parallel
Actually I do that all the time with LiPo batteries in RC models, but the rule is: connect them only when they are charged 100% (sure, that's an approximation, it is never perfect 4.2V per cell, but the differences and leveling currents are negligible in such a case).

Borek said:
Actually I do that all the time with LiPo batteries in RC models, but the rule is: connect them only when they are charged 100% (sure, that's an approximation, it is never perfect 4.2V per cell, but the differences and leveling currents are negligible in such a case).
Those voltage sources are networks in the circuit modeling world. You can parallel them because of their series resistance. Once you start drawing equivalent circuits and writing equations, you've entered into the modelling world, where it never makes sense to have voltage sources in parallel. So, yes, you can parallel batteries, but not ideal voltage sources.

Svein said:
Take a look into one of your battery-powered devices. The batteries are always connected in series, never in parallel.
You mean like batteries in diesel trucks, tractors, stationary equipment, etc.? Sorry, you're just plain wrong.

Likes anorlunda and DaveE
1640204226528.png

The standard way to create a house battery bank.

Borek said:
A diode in series with each battery will isolate the two from each other and they will both discharge in a well behaved way. Only problem could be the loss of half a volt or so. Not a good idea to try charging them that way because the charger reads the wrong volts for optimum charging.

anorlunda said:
The standard way to create a house battery bank.
That's ok if all the batteries are the same make, type number and age. That way they are near enough to each family member not to misbehave. An old and a new battery connected like that will discharge the newer battery into the old one. Only justified with two different batteries when you happen to need a lot of current. It's common in boats to have two batteries. There is a four position breaker switch; Off, No1,No2, Nos 1 + 2. Only use 1+2 for starting a tired engine. Even charging may not charge both batteries fully.

Likes DaveE
High current batteries are usually designed so that if a cell fails internally as a short-circuit, the resulting stored energy release will be contained to that one cell. The cell has been designed to survive and contain such a failure.
When you parallel several batteries, the failure of one cell will discharge all those in parallel through the one failed cell. That may exceed the containment and cause a major incident.

Likes sophiecentaur and DaveE
Baluncore said:
High current batteries are usually designed so that if a cell fails internally as a short-circuit, the resulting stored energy release will be contained to that one cell. The cell has been designed to survive and contain such a failure.
When you parallel several batteries, the failure of one cell will discharge all those in parallel through the one failed cell. That may exceed the containment and cause a major incident.
Which is why it's much better to buy a battery pack than build your own. Manufacturers can take steps in design, assembly, and test to improve safety (ANSI/CAN/UL 2734, for example). We can't.

DaveE said:
Any network that contains a loop of only voltage sources and/or capacitors is not solvable, not realistic. The same is true of any circuit node that has only current sources and/or inductors connected to it.

So, while you will get a bunch of answers from people, this is, by definition, not a solvable circuit. I suppose there is the trivial case where the sources are equal*, in which case, why not just delete one?

So let's just pause for a moment and ponder, what does it really mean to have two ideal voltage sources connected in parallel? Why would you pose this problem?

* In the general case with either capacitors or inductors, you would need the initial conditions to match perfectly. Otherwise you will have infinite solutions for some of the currents or voltages.
Ok, so in summary the point is just that the superposition principle always subliminally assumes that we work with solvable circuits in the sense that there is nowhere loop with short circuit in the given circuit.

The Tortoise-Man said:
Ok, so in summary the point is just that the superposition principle always subliminally assumes that we work with solvable circuits in the sense that there is nowhere loop with short circuit in the given circuit.
Your network needs some rules about what the voltage is across each branch. You just can't have rules that conflict. Rules that agree and provide identical information (the trivial case) are redundant and one can be immediately eliminated at no cost.

The algebraic equivalent is this:
x=2 and x=3, find the value of x.
Or, x=2 and x=2, find the value of x.

It's not rocket science, don't dwell on the obvious, it's not worth your time.

Likes Merlin3189
sophiecentaur said:
A diode in series with each battery will isolate the two from each other and they will both discharge in a well behaved way. Only problem could be the loss of half a volt or so. Not a good idea to try charging them that way because the charger reads the wrong volts for optimum charging.
In the past I though about making a special connector with built in diodes, but two things threw me off. Voltage loss was the first. Second: in my models we are talking about currents in the 40A+ range, which means diodes will be bulky.

As the charger pumps them up to 4.2V per cell, the voltage difference between batteries fresh after charging is in mV range and I connect them immediately after charging.

Likes sophiecentaur
Borek said:
Second: in my models we are talking about currents in the 40A+ range, which means diodes will be bulky.
Those types of battery are "bulky" too. But TO-220AC is not a big package.
Voltage loss can be a problem, of course.
On my boat, I ended up with a VSR (Voltage sensitive relay) which charged the start battery preferentially and switched in the domestic battery when the start battery was charged. That meant that the standard regulator on the alternator was working with the optimum voltage. The system worked very well and needed no constant nursing, as the original system did. But this is a bit of a red herring if two batteries need to work together.

Don't forget EV battery packs. They necessarily have series and parallel connections.

1640293567428.png

anorlunda said:
Don't forget EV battery packs. They necessarily have series and parallel connections.
Wouldn't all the batteries be same batch, same age, same use? Also, in an expensive setup like an EV, wouldn't there be a lot of monitoring to spot potential problems?
This thread has morphed from the theoretical to the very practical.

Borek said:
In the past I though about making a special connector with built in diodes, but two things threw me off. Voltage loss was the first. Second: in my models we are talking about currents in the 40A+ range, which means diodes will be bulky.
When I am faced with that situation I use the bulk substrate diode of a mosfet. When the voltage becomes positive, so current begins to flow, I turn on the mosfet. That reduces resistance which reduces the voltage drop and the power dissipated in the diode. There are a couple of handy components designed for automotive applications that cost less than $5 each. They are very handy when controlling multiple parallel battery sysetms.
IRF1405 IR Power MOSFET; TO-220AB, N-Channel, 55V, 169A.
IRF4905PBF Power MOSFET; TO-22DD, P-Channel, 55V, 74A.

Likes sophiecentaur and DaveE
The Tortoise-Man said:
I have a question about natural limitations when the superposition principle for circuits is applicable. Possibly there is a quite elementary reason why the problem I'm going to present next fails, but up to now I haven't a precise reason why that's exactly the case. Could somebody help?

Consider the following situation which rather confuses me:View attachment 294570

The voltage sources ##S_1## and ##S_2## with voltages ##V_1## and ##V_2## which we assume to be equal: ##V_1= V_2 (=V)##

We want to calculate the current ##I## across the resistor ##R## using two methods: 1) usual standard way we learn to add up two parallel voltages and 2) aplication of superposition prinicple.For 1): Due to basic calucation rules for two parallel voltage sources with SAME voltage ##V_1= V_2 ## we can make a replacement:

View attachment 294571
Now if we set ##I_1## to be the current in

View attachment 294572then ## I= 2I_1##.

For 2): On the other hand if we try to apply the superposition principle to this circuit and short out say ##S_2## then we
obtain

View attachment 294573with ##I_{\infty}= \infty ## and ##I^1_R=0## since we have shorted ##S_2##. From symmetrical
reasons in the same game shorting out ##S_1## we obtain ##I^2_R=0## and therefore ##I= I^1_R + I^2_R =0## and that
contradicts to the considerations above.

So seemingly in this situation the superposition principle fails because 2) make no sense at experience level. But on the other hand I read that the only obstruction to use superposition principle is the requirement that the circuit/network should be linear, that's all as far I know.
This one is linear. But seemingly the application of superposition here gives absurd results.

Where is the error in my reasonings?
You cannot short one source (V1=0) while the other is at V2 = V'. You have contradicted yourself.

Likes alan123hk

1. What is the Superposition Principle for two Voltage Sources?

The Superposition Principle states that the total voltage across a circuit with multiple voltage sources is equal to the sum of the individual voltages acting alone. This means that the voltages from each source can be calculated separately and then added together to find the total voltage.

2. Can the Superposition Principle be applied to circuits with more than two voltage sources?

Yes, the Superposition Principle can be applied to circuits with any number of voltage sources. The principle states that the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual voltages, regardless of how many sources there are.

3. How do I calculate the individual voltages in a circuit using the Superposition Principle?

To calculate the individual voltages, you must first turn off all but one voltage source in the circuit. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage across the circuit. Repeat this process for each voltage source, turning off all others and calculating the voltage. Finally, add all of the individual voltages together to find the total voltage.

4. What happens if two voltage sources have the same value in a circuit?

If two voltage sources have the same value, the Superposition Principle still applies. The total voltage will be equal to the sum of the individual voltages, which in this case will be twice the value of each source.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Superposition Principle for voltage sources?

Yes, the Superposition Principle is only applicable to linear circuits. This means that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's Law and have a linear relationship between voltage and current. Additionally, the principle cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled voltage sources.