1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices in power diagonal question

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    find B matrices so [tex]B^{3}=A=\left(\begin{array}{cc}14 & 13\\13 & 14\end{array}\right)[/tex]

,the diagonal form of A is [tex]D=\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & 0\\0 & b\end{array}\right)[/tex]

i got weird numbers so for convinience the eigenvalues are a,b

so there is U for which

[tex]U^{-1}AU=\left(\begin{array}{cc}a^{\frac{1}{3}} & 0\\0 & b^{\frac{1}{3}}\end{array}\right)^{3}[/tex]

i can find U
    because A is simetric so U is consists of the orthonormal eigenvectors of A
    what to do next,how to find B

?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have U-1AU = D, where D is a diagonal matrix whose entries are the eigenvalues of A.

It turns out that U-1A1/3U is a cube root of D (or D1/3), where D1/3 is also a diagonal matrix whose entries are the cube roots of the entries of D. In short, U-1A1/3U = D1/3.

To verify that U-1A1/3U is a cube root of D,
    notice that (U-1A1/3U)3
    = (U-1A1/3U)(U-1A1/3U)(U-1A1/3U)
    = U-1A1/3UU-1A1/3UU-1A1/3U
    = U-1A1/3A1/3A1/3U
    = U-1AU = D.

In other words, if we cube U-1A1/3U, we get D, so U-1A1/3U is a cube root of D.

To get B, which is A1/3, multiply both sides of the equation U-1A1/3U = D1/3 on the left by U, and multiply both sides on the right by U-1.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you say the eigenvalues of A are 'weird'? They don't look weird to me. In fact they are both integer cubes. What did you get? I think you can do this whole exercise with easy numbers.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. Nov 3, 2011 #4
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}14 & 13\\13 & 14\end{array}\right)[/tex]

the caracterstic polinomial

[tex]P(t)=(t-14)^{2}-169=t^{2}-28t+27[/tex]

t=1 t=27

for t=1 i get (-1,1) and for t=27 i got the same (-1,1)

so the transformation matrices is not invertible which is wrong

where is my mistake?

6. Nov 3, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your mistake is in what you didn't show. (-1,1) can't have an eigenvalue of both 1 and 27. Which is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook