Derivatives of Jacobian Matrices: t^2-s^2, ts

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jacobian Matrices
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
jonroberts74
Messages
189
Reaction score
0
[tex]x=t^2-s^2, y=ts,u=x,v=-y[/tex]

a) compute derivative matrices [tex]\vec{D}f(x,y) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}f(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right][/tex]

b) express (u,v) in terms of (t,s)

[tex]f(u(x,y),v(x,y) = (t^2-s^2,-(ts))[/tex]

c) Evaluate [tex]\vec{D}(u,v)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\-s&-t\end{array}\right][/tex]

d) verify if chain rule holdsneed help with this last part, also need to know if I even did the rest correctly
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:
[tex]x=t^2-s^2, y=ts,u=x,v=-y[/tex]

a) compute derivative matrices [tex]\vec{D}f(x,y) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}f(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right][/tex]

b) express (u,v) in terms of (t,s)

[tex]f(u(x,y),v(x,y) = (t^2-s2,-(ts))[/tex]

c) Evaluate [tex]\vec{D}(u,v)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}(u,v) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right] \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\s&t\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}2t&-2s\\-s&-t\end{array}\right][/tex]

d) verify if chain rule holdsneed help with this last part, also need to know if I even did the rest correctly

Part a) looks okay, but the notation is a little rough. Something more like:

[tex] J_{s, t}(x,y) = \begin{pmatrix}<br /> x_s & x_t \\<br /> y_s & y_t<br /> \end{pmatrix}, \quad<br /> <br /> J_{x, y}(u,v) = \begin{pmatrix}<br /> u_x & u_y \\<br /> v_x & v_y<br /> \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

##J_{s, t}(x,y)## and ##J_{x, y}(u,v)## are the Jacobian matricies.

I'm sure you meant ##u = t^2 - s^2## for part b).

For part c), I'm sure what is intended is you find the derivative matrix ##J_{s, t}(u,v)## after expressing ##u## and ##v## as functions of ##s## and ##t##.
 
Zondrina said:
Part a) looks okay, but the notation is a little rough. Something more like:

[tex] J_{s, t}(x,y) = \begin{pmatrix}<br /> x_s & x_t \\<br /> y_s & y_t<br /> \end{pmatrix}, \quad<br /> <br /> J_{x, y}(u,v) = \begin{pmatrix}<br /> u_x & u_y \\<br /> v_x & v_y<br /> \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

##J_{s, t}(x,y)## and ##J_{x, y}(u,v)## are the Jacobian matricies.

I'm sure you meant ##u = t^2 - s^2## for part b).

For part c), I'm sure what is intended is you find the derivative matrix ##J_{s, t}(u,v)## after expressing ##u## and ##v## as functions of ##s## and ##t##.

I fixed the error in (b) and yeah that's what I want for (c), I'm using the notation that is used in my book/what my professor uses

as for part (d) how do I verify this
 
jonroberts74 said:
I fixed the error in (b) and yeah that's what I want for (c), I'm using the notation that is used in my book/what my professor uses

as for part (d) how do I verify this

For part d), if ##f## is a function of ##u## and ##v##, which are functions of ##x## and ##y##, which are functions of ##s## and ##t##, what is the partial derivative of ##f## with respect to ##u##? How about the partial with respect to ##v##?
 
[tex](\frac{\partial f}{\partial u})_{t,s} = 2t,-2s \,\,\, (\frac{\partial f}{\partial v})_{t,s} = -s,-t[/tex]

I know this is kind of an abuse of notation but I've been typing LaTeX all day
 
Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
[tex](\frac{\partial f}{\partial u})_{t,s} = 2t,-2s \,\,\, (\frac{\partial f}{\partial v})_{t,s} = -s,-t[/tex]

I know this is kind of an abuse of notation but I've been typing LaTeX all day

Looks good.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person