1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices: lines addition master trick.

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    In Jordan, Gauss-Jordan and Laplace it's necessary to miltiply a line by a constant, add the result to other line in order to obtain 'zeros' (to facilitate the process while using Laplace) or to obtain a identity matrix (Jordan and Gauss-Jordan).

I take TOO long while doing this and sometimes never acomplish. Is there some magic trick for this, a logic algorithm I should follow or I can only get better with practice?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

All of the elements in the diagonal of the identity matrix are 1 with all the other elements being zero. So in your initial matrix, in the first row, you would use the first element to make the rest of elements within that first column 0.

Similarly then you go to the second row and use the second element to make the rest of elements in the 2nd column 0.

It is easier to see an example here.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, there is no magic trick. It is inherently a tedious and error-prone procedure. What is important is to understand the nature of what you are doing. Once you understand, you could perhaps use a computer algebra program to do it for you.

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    Thank you! I didn't notice that before... Very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted