1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices Word Problem help needed

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have to use matrices to figure these out.

1. A retired couple wishes to invest $150,000, diversifying the investment in three areas: a high-risk stock with an expected rate of return of 15%, a low risk stock with an expected rate of return of 10%, and government bonds at 8% return. To protect their investment, they wish wish to place twice as much money in the low-risk stock as the high risk stock and use the remainder to buy bonds. How should the money be allocated per investment to yield a total profit of $17,500 return on their investment?

2. Three solutions contain a certain acid. The first contains 10% acid, the second 30% , and the third 50%. A chemist wishes to use all three solutions to obtain a 40-liter mixture containing 35% acid. If the chemist wants to use twice as much of the 50% solution as of the 30% solution, how many liters of each solution should be used?

All I need help with is getting these bad boys started and I can go from there.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2
    hmm, I'm not sure how to represent matrices in this window. I have a stab at helping out anyway. This is a general formula.

| percentage A | |amount of A |
    | | | |
    | percentage B | . |amount of B | = pA*aA + pB*aB + pC*aC
    | | | |
    | percentage C | |amount of C|

Remember, the amount of something multiplied by how much that something contains of a desired substance gives you how much of the desired substance you have in total.

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let the amount invested at 15% be x, the amount invested at 10% be y, and the amount invested at 8% be z. Then, "A retired couple wishes to invest $150,000" so x+ y+ z= 150000. "To protect their investment, they wish wish to place twice as much money in the low-risk stock as the high risk stock and use the remainder to buy bonds" so y= 2x or 2x- y= 0. "How should the money be allocated per investment to yield a total profit of $17,500 return," so .15x+ .10y+ .08z= 17500. Do you know how to write the equations
    x+ y+ z= 150000
    2x- y = 0
    .15x+ .10y+ .08z= 17500
    as a matrix multiplication?

Let x be the amount of the 10% acid solution, y the amount of the 30% solution, and z the mount of the 50% acid solution.

"A chemist wishes to use all three solutions to obtain a 40-liter mixture containing 35% acidA chemist wishes to use all three solutions to obtain a 40-liter mixture containing 35% acid" tells us two things: x+ y+ z= 40 and .10x+ .30y+ .50z= .35(40). "the chemist wants to use twice as much of the 50% solution as of the 30% solution" tells us z= 2y or 2y- z= 0.

Can you write
    x+ y+ z= 40
    .10+ .30y+ .50z= .35(40)= 14
    2y- z= 0
    as a matrix multipllication?

[quolte]All I need help with is getting these bad boys started and I can go from there.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution[/QUOTE]

5. Sep 5, 2008 #4
    Thank you very much ... you're the greatest!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?