Matrix description of optical devices

In summary, the Jones and Mueller matrix techniques can be used to descibe optical devices with polarized light. They are 2 by 2 matrices. A basis can be Linear polarization along x or along y for a photon moving along z. I can use them when there is a device with one input channel.
naima
Gold Member
I read that Jones matrices can descibe optical devices with polarized light. They are 2 by 2 matrices.A basis can be Linear polarization along x or along y for a photon moving along z. I can use when there is a device with one input channel.
Consider now a Mach Zehnder Interferometer (MZI). there is a beam splitter with 2 input channels.
I saw papers which use Jones like matrices but where the input polarizations H and V were replaced by Port1 and port2 and the output giving the detectors.
A MZI needs 4 input parameters LH, LV, BH, BV (L B for left bottom)
I did not see descriptions of MZI using 4*4 matrices.
Have you a link?
I found Mueller 4*4 matrices but they speak of something else.

Science news on Phys.org
Here is a paper which uses both Jones and and Mueller matrix techniques in the description of a Mach-Zender interferometer: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1211.3194.pdf

And "Matrix operators for complex interferometer analysis":
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1012/1012.0063.pdf

BTW, while the Jones matrix technique works with 2 port devices, in linear optics (which is implicitly assumed) you can simply run a second input through the same system to see the effects of multiple inputs; see section 1 of the second paper.

For auditors unfamiliar with Jones & Mueller, a brief introduction:
http://www.ece.rice.edu/~daniel/262/pdf/lecture17.pdf

I read Dahlgren's paper. This what i am looking for.
How did you find his method? in a course or in a book or on the web?
We have Eout = H E0
What is the value of H for a general beam splitter?
I was first interested in the subject when i read http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0408011

naima said:
I read Dahlgren's paper. This what i am looking for.
How did you find his method? in a course or in a book or on the web?

I first studied the Jones & Mueller matrix methods as an undergraduate, so I am familiar with them, though in my work I've seldom used them.

Once you are familiar with a topic it is easy to find good references - it only takes a moment to sort through a stack of reference works in the library to find the work that meets your needs, or to read abstracts which contain the key words that are relevant.

It is the same with Google: first understand the technical question, then select the relevant terms: "Jones Mueller matrix Mach Zender two port" and launch the search. Finally read the abstracts until a good paper is found.

Just like getting started on any research project!

Could you look at fig 1 in http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0408011
When there is only one input channel, a beam splitter has two output ports.
There are " beam splitters" P1 and P2 which merge two inport channels toward one port.
Are they rotated BS or other devices?

From the caption for figure 1: "All beamsplitters are polarizing beamsplitters with the same polarization basis and transmit photons in the |H> state, while reflecting photons in the |V> state"

1. What is the matrix description of optical devices?

The matrix description of optical devices is a mathematical representation of the behavior of light as it passes through various optical elements, such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms. It uses matrices to describe the transformation of light rays and the properties of the optical system.

2. How is the matrix description used in optics?

The matrix description is used to analyze and design optical systems. By representing the behavior of light with matrices, we can easily calculate the effect of multiple optical elements on a light ray, determine the location and size of images formed by the system, and optimize the performance of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using matrix description in optical devices?

One of the main advantages is that it simplifies the analysis of complex optical systems. The use of matrices allows for a more systematic and efficient approach to solving optical problems. It also provides a clear visualization of the propagation of light through the system, making it easier to understand and design optical devices.

4. Are there any limitations to the matrix description of optical devices?

While the matrix description is a powerful tool, it does have limitations. It assumes that light travels in a straight line, which is not always the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account certain optical effects, such as diffraction, scattering, and polarization, which may be important in certain applications.

5. How does the matrix description relate to other optical theories?

The matrix description is related to other theories in optics, such as ray optics and wave optics. It can be seen as a simplification of these theories, providing a more practical and efficient way to analyze and design optical systems. However, it is important to keep in mind the limitations and assumptions of the matrix description when applying it to real-life situations.