1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix geometric representation

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    Hello all, I have attached a matrix. I am trying to work out this matrix will transform a set of co-ordinates (x_1, y_1, z_1) to a new set of co-ordinates (x_2, y_2, z_2)

Can anyone give me any hints on how to tackle this problem?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean that you want to show that this matrix will transform a given set of co-ordinates (x_1, y_1, z_1) to a given set of coordinates (x_2, y_2, z_2)?
    If so, then the obvious: multiply the given matrix by the given (x_1, y_1, z_1) and see that they give (x_2, y_2, z_2). If either set of coordinates is not given then I don't understand what you want to do. Obviously multiplying a matrix by a point (represented as a column matrix) will give another point.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Sorry, it will be easier if I just post the question.

What I've done is written two equations

r2 = r1.A
    r3 = r2.B

Where A and B are the matrices representing the two transformations.

Then I have written r3 = r1.A.B
    which expresses the components of r3 in terms of r1.

After multiplying the two matrices I got the matrix I attached to my first post. However this new matrix looks a little too advanced for what we've been doing in the course. So maybe I've made a mistake?

Attached Files:

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4
    Nevermind now I have managed to do it.

r2 = A.r1
    r3 = B.r2

r3 = B.A.r1

And I get B.A = (0,1,0), (-1,0,0), (0,0,1)

Hopefully my notation is okay here, it's meant to read like: (a_11, a_12, a_13), (a_21, a_22, a_23), (a_31, a_32, a_33)

Which indicates a rotation of 90 degrees clockwise about the z-axis (going from r1 to r3), right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?