Matrix geometric representation

In summary, the conversation discusses using a matrix to transform a set of given coordinates to another set of coordinates. The process involves multiplying the given matrix by the coordinates and checking if they match the desired result. The conversation also mentions finding a matrix for a 90 degree clockwise rotation about the z-axis.
SunGod87
Hello all, I have attached a matrix. I am trying to work out this matrix will transform a set of co-ordinates (x_1, y_1, z_1) to a new set of co-ordinates (x_2, y_2, z_2)

Can anyone give me any hints on how to tackle this problem?

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that you want to show that this matrix will transform a given set of co-ordinates (x_1, y_1, z_1) to a given set of coordinates (x_2, y_2, z_2)?
If so, then the obvious: multiply the given matrix by the given (x_1, y_1, z_1) and see that they give (x_2, y_2, z_2). If either set of coordinates is not given then I don't understand what you want to do. Obviously multiplying a matrix by a point (represented as a column matrix) will give another point.

Sorry, it will be easier if I just post the question.

What I've done is written two equations

r2 = r1.A
r3 = r2.B

Where A and B are the matrices representing the two transformations.

Then I have written r3 = r1.A.B
which expresses the components of r3 in terms of r1.

After multiplying the two matrices I got the matrix I attached to my first post. However this new matrix looks a little too advanced for what we've been doing in the course. So maybe I've made a mistake?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 384
Nevermind now I have managed to do it.

r2 = A.r1
r3 = B.r2

r3 = B.A.r1

And I get B.A = (0,1,0), (-1,0,0), (0,0,1)

Hopefully my notation is okay here, it's meant to read like: (a_11, a_12, a_13), (a_21, a_22, a_23), (a_31, a_32, a_33)

Which indicates a rotation of 90 degrees clockwise about the z-axis (going from r1 to r3), right?

1. What is a matrix geometric representation?

A matrix geometric representation is a way of representing geometric objects, such as points, lines, and shapes, using matrices. It involves assigning a matrix to each geometric object, with the elements of the matrix representing different properties of the object.

2. How is a matrix geometric representation used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, a matrix geometric representation is used to transform and manipulate geometric objects in 3D space. By applying different matrix operations, such as translation, rotation, and scaling, to the matrices representing the objects, their positions and orientations can be changed and animated.

3. What are the advantages of using a matrix geometric representation?

One advantage of using a matrix geometric representation is that it allows for easy manipulation and transformation of geometric objects. It also allows for efficient calculations, as matrix operations can be performed quickly using computer hardware. Additionally, it can be used to represent complex shapes and animations in a compact and organized way.

4. Are there any limitations to using a matrix geometric representation?

One limitation of using a matrix geometric representation is that it is only suitable for representing objects in 3D space. It also requires a good understanding of matrix operations and transformations in order to use it effectively. Additionally, it may not be as intuitive for some users, compared to other methods of representing geometric objects.

5. How is a matrix geometric representation related to linear algebra?

A matrix geometric representation is closely related to linear algebra, as it involves using matrices to represent geometric objects and perform operations on them. It relies on concepts such as matrix multiplication, inversion, and transformation, which are fundamental in linear algebra. Understanding linear algebra is essential for working with matrix geometric representations.