1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix maybe it can go in precalc section ?

1. Aug 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A and B be matrices of the same size.
    a.) prove the jth column of ## A + B## is ## a_j + b_j ##

2. Relevant equations

Where is i? In their question?

3. The attempt at a solution
    What if you did this.

##
    A=
    \begin{pmatrix}
    a_{1j}\\
    a_{2j}\\
    a_{3j}
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##

B = ##
    \begin{pmatrix}
    b_{1j}\\
    b_{2j}\\
    b_{3j}
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##

A+B = ##
    \begin{pmatrix}
    a_{1j} + b_{1j}\\
    a_{2j} + b_{2j}\\
    a_{3j} + b_{3j}
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##

But I still have i and they say prove that it is aj + bj
    I hope that code is right for the matrix when I preview it is would not show. EDIT Why does my code not work ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IMO, the question assumed that since the jth column of A + B was sought, it was naturally implied the index i would range from 1 ... n, where n is the number of rows in A and B.

4. Aug 14, 2013 #3
    What is IMO. Am I correct or no?

5. Aug 14, 2013 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Is this proof meant to be done with a computer program, or is it just a proof? If it's just a proof, it's not clear what is being sought here, there's a definition for adding matrices, and the syntax aj means all values (all rows) in column j of the matrix A, and bj means all values in column j of B. You do not need to define an "i", unless you're trying to create a program, depending on the programming language.

In a language called APL, indexes for a multi-dimension array are separated by ';', and an empty field means all of the indexes for that dimension. So in APL, aj => A[ ; j ], and bj => B[ ; j ], no "i" needed. For example:

pf3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. Aug 14, 2013 #5
    No program just what the question says prove that Let A and B be matrices of the same size.
    a.) prove the jth column of A+B is aj+bj

So I just put them in matrices and added them to show that yeah it is aj + bj ...I mean idk that is what the question said exactly

7. Aug 14, 2013 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what constitutes "proof" since the statement is true based on the definitions of A+B and aj + bj.

8. Aug 14, 2013 #7
    Yeah I'm not sure I guess they wanted you to carry out the operation? I suppose.

9. Aug 14, 2013 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I fixed it for you. The problem was that a_i_j isn't valid TeX code. a_{ij} is valid, and that's what I assumed you wanted. If you wanted the j lower than the i you would need to use a_{i_j}.

10. Aug 14, 2013 #9
    Oh thanks. It threw me off because I just copied and pasted the code from the "How to type maths equations" thing at the top of the forum. Thanks

11. Aug 14, 2013 #10

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IMO = in my opinion

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted