1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non singular matrix M such that MAM^T=F

1. Mar 26, 2016 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that there is a non-singular matrix M such that ##MAM^T = F## for any antisymmetric matrix A where the normal form F is a matrix with 2x2 blocks on its principal diagonal which are either zero or $$\begin{pmatrix} 0 &1 \\ -1&0 \end{pmatrix}$$

To do so, consider the analogue of the Gram-Schmidt method for antisymmetric matrices using the antisymmetric inner product ##\langle x,y \rangle = x^TA y##

2. Relevant equations
    Gram Schmidt equations?
    Orthogonality

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am just really looking for some hints to start. For vectors ##x## and ##y##, $$x^T A y = (x_1 \dots x_n) \begin{pmatrix} A_{11} & A_{12} &..&A_{1n} \\ ..&.. \\ ..& ..&..&A_{nn} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2\\ ..\\y_n \end{pmatrix}$$ and ##A_{ii} = 0, A_{ij} = -A_{ji} ## but I am not seeing how the hint is useful.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2
    I feel that it is a way or another related to the spectral theorem. Try to work on ##A^2##.

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

In the 2x2 case, ##A^2## is proportional to the identity but this is not true for the 3x3 case and beyond so I am not sure what can be said about ##A^2## in general.

The product ##x^T A x## is the matrix multiplication of a row of ##M^T## together with ##A## and corresponding transposed row (or column) vector in ##M##. The matrix ##M## is composed of the ##2n## vectors ##x## and amounts to the transition matrix from one basis to another. Is that correct? I guess Gram Schmidt comes into play when we want to work with some arbitrary basis and ##M## is the basis change of matrix that takes us to the basis in which we now have an orthogonal set of basis vectors. I just don't see a way to proceed as of yet.

Thanks!

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4
    Let's say that ##A## is a real matrix.
    If ##A## is anti-symmetric (## A^T = -A##), then ##A^2## is symmetric. The spectral theorem says it is diagonalizable in an orthonormal basis.
    Could the diagonal matrix be a representation of ##F^2## in another orthonormal basis ? I don't know, it is just a suggestion, this is how I would start.
    If yes, you will get an equality that looks like ##(M A M^T)^2 = F^2##, with ##M## being a product of 2 orthogonal matrices, therefore invertible. But still, there are these squares you'll have to get rid of.

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Ok, so given that ##A^2## is always symmetric it can always be diagonalised in a basis spanned by its (normalised) eigenvectors. So, something like $$RA^2R^T = \text{diag}(\lambda_1, \dots \lambda_{2n})$$ Then multiply by ##P## on the left and by ##P^T## on the right so that $$PR A^2 R^T P^T = P\text{diag}(\lambda_1, \dots \lambda_{2n}) P^T \overset{!}{=} F^2.$$ If ##M = PR## then get ##(MAM^T)^2 = F^2##

So somehow I need to prove that it is possible to go from a diagonal form ##D = \text{diag}(\lambda_1 \dots \lambda_{2n})## to ##F^2##? ##F^2## is so specific though about the elements on its block diagonal. And to resolve the sign where I square root both sides i thought about considering ##M=\text{Id}## to get the sign right for det but this depends on how much I'm allowed to assume about ##\text{det F}## (I can see that it is only 1 or 0 though)

Does the hint about Gram Schmidt help me at all and in particular using the quantity ##x^T A y##?

7. Mar 28, 2016 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

I got the following solution from another source:

We suppose that ##A## is written in the canonical basis. Consider the product defined by ##\langle x,y\rangle=x^TAy##, the bilinear antisymmetric product. There exists a basis ##e_1,...e_{2n}## such that this product in this basis is ##e_{n+1}\wedge e_{1}+...+e_{2n}\wedge e_{n}##. The matrix of the bilinear for in this basis is ##\pmatrix{0 & 1 \cr -1 & 0}##.

Let ##M## be the transtion matrix from the basis to ##e_1,...,e_{2n}## to the canonical basis ##M^TAM =\pmatrix{ 0 &1\cr -1 & 0}##

I didn't completely understand this proof - What does the term ##e_{n+1}\wedge e_{1}+...+e_{2n}\wedge e_{n}## evaluate to and why is the bilinear in this basis in which the inner product is equal to that given by $$\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ -1&0 \end{pmatrix}?$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted