Matrix Multiplication of \delta_{ij}v_j = v_i

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
virgileso
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show by matrix multiplication, [tex]\delta_{ij}v_j = v_i[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm having trouble understanding how to do this, because I'm under the impression that [tex]v_j[/tex] is a row vector, which can't be multiplied by a 3x3 matrix which [tex]\delta_{ij}[/tex] is; or am I horribly wrong here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the Kronecker delta is just the identity matrix... if it's a 3x3 matrix, then [tex]v_j[/tex] is 3x1 (3 rows, 1 column)
 
Then shouldn't the unity matrix give another row vector as an answer? I'm trying to understand how [tex]v_i = v_j[/tex]
 
Aren't we talking about column vectors here... 3x1 is a column vector... and the result of the multiplication gives the same column vector back...

[tex]\delta_{ij}v_j[/tex] denotes the sum over all j... for a particular i... ie: it is analogous to the multiplying the ith row of the matrix by the column vector [tex]v[/tex]... and the result is [tex]v_i[/tex]
 
Last edited: