1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix of a linear transformation

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    Find a basis of Rn such that the matrix B of the given linear transformation T is diagonal.

Orthogonal Projection T onto the line in R^3 spanned by
    (1 1 1)

I'm assuming (though I tend to be wrong) that I need to find a vector that is parallel to the line and 2 that are perpendicular to it and linearly independent.

So would the B matrix look something like this

1 -2 1

1 1 0

1 1 -1

?

Or am I once again way off track :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Hi Succubus
    misread question... run with mazes comments

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    Looks good. A few follow up questions worth thinking about would be,
    1) If you write a vector in the basis B, v = v1 (1 1 1)T + v2 (-2 1 1)T + v3 (1 0 -1)T, then what is Tv in this basis?
    2) What is the matrix T in the basis B?
    3) What would go wrong if the second vector in B was not perpendicular to the first one?

*extra challenge*4) What is T in the standard basis (1,0,0)T, (0,1,0)T, (0,0,1)T? Can you write the projection matrix in terms of an outer product (ie: T = q qT for some vector q)?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. Mar 24, 2009 #4
    Thanks, I appreciate your help. Now, what is it was a reflection instead of a projection? Let's say a reflection about the plane (1 1 1) Would I do the same procedure?

6. Mar 24, 2009 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi succubus - do you mean the reflection in the plane through the origin, with normal vector (1,1,1) ?

if so, you can look at your previous vectors (2 perpindicular and 1 parallel to (1,1,1)).

Say v1= (1,1,1), this will be mapped to (-1,-1,-1). Whilst the perpindicular vectors (v2,v3) will be mapped to themselves,as they are in the plane of reflection

so you know
    [tex] A.v_1 = -v_1 [/tex]
    [tex] A.v_2 = v_2 [/tex]
    [tex] A.v_3 = v_3 [/tex]

can you write A in the basis of v1,v2,v3? then you can you transform to the original basis if needed...

7. Mar 24, 2009 #6
    Thanks! But the problem is

Find a basis of Rn such that the matrix B of the given linear transformation T is diagonal.

Reflection T about the line in R^3 spanned by
    (1 1 1)

I accidentally put plane! I'm sorry.

So I would find 2 vectors perpendicular to the line and 1 parallel? I think I see it, but I don't understand exactly why. :/

So it would be

1 -1 1
    1 0 -1
    1 1 0

?

8. Mar 24, 2009 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

hmm.. ok, so i assume it will reflect any vector u, in a plane parallel to (1,1,1)
    and if we write
    [tex] u = v+ \lambda(1,1,1) [/tex] for some unqiue [tex] v, \lambda [/tex] for every u
    v will be normal to the plane of reflection...(someone correct me if i am wrong)

as before, say you have vectors
    v1 - parallel (1,1,1)
    v2 - perp (1,1,1)
    v3 - perp (1,1,1) (v3 not equal v2)

in this case
    [tex] A.v_1 = v_1 [/tex]
    [tex] A.v_2 = -v_2 [/tex]
    [tex] A.v_3 = -v_3 [/tex]

then comments as before

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook