1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix of Hamiltonian, system's state - quantum

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    Hello
    I'm reaaaaaally stuck here, if someone can explain me it'd be great because i just dn't know how to do all that

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a system with the moment of inertia l=1
    A base of the space of the states is constituted by the three eigenvectors of Lz |+1> , |0>, |-1> of eigenvalues +h, 0, -h (h=h/2π)
    The Hamiltonian has the form : H=wo/h(Lu²-Lv²)

where Lu and Lv are the component of L in the directions Ou & Ov of the xOz plan, 45° from Ox and Oz. wo is a real constant.

a. Write the matrix representing H in the basis |+1> , |0> and |-1>
    What are the stationnary states of the system and their energies ?
    b. At t=0 the system is in the state

|ψ(0)>=1/√2(|+1>-|-1>)
    What is |ψ(t)> at time t ? If we measure Lz what are the probabilities of the different results ?

c. Calculate <Lx>(t) <Ly>(t) & <Lz>(t)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a.I am soooo lost I know I have to find Lx and Lz first , then Lu & Lv to find H
    But I just don't know how to do that

b. We have
    |ψ(t)>=|ψ(0)>exp(-iHt/h)
    |+1> and |-1> are not eigenstates of H so I have to express them in eigenstates of H but how ?
    And I will have to convert the energies |En> found in term of |+1> AND |-1> , how ?

c.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\renewcommand{\br}[1]{| #1 \rangle} \renewcommand{\kt}[1]{\langle #1 |}##
    Lets see if I can translate:
    System with moment of inertia ##I=1## in some units.
    Use a basis of eigenvectors of z-angular-momentum ##\{ \br{+1}, \br{0}, \br{-1} \}##

##L_z\br{+1}=\hbar\br{+1},\; L_z\br{0}=0,\; L_z\br{-1}=-\hbar\br{-1}##

The Hamiltonian has form: $$\hat{H}=\frac{\omega_0}{\hbar}\left( L_u^2-L_v^2 \right)$$

The u and v directions are what??
    ##L_z## is the component of ##\hat{L}## in the z direction ...

Yes you need to know how the u and v components relate to the x and z components. You were told - but I'm not sure I follow your notation so you'll have to go back to your notes to see what it means.

But they are eigenstates of ##L_z##
    You need to be able to expand one set of eigenstates in terms of the others - it's a change of basis.

In the previous you found the eigenstates of ##H## in terms of those of ##L_z## ... so you need to do the first one, well, first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted