1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Quantum HW (Angular Momentum)

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a three-dimensional system with wave function ψ. If ψ is in the l = 0 state, we already know that Lzψ=0. Show that Lxψ=0 and Lyψ=0 as well.

2. Relevant equations

[Lx,Ly]ψ = i*h-bar*Lzψ

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble figuring out where to start this. I think it should be clear and straight-forward, but for some reason I'm just not seeing how I can derive this. I tried using the above equation, to get

[Lx,Ly]ψ=0.

I assume from here I would prove that this is only true of Lxψ and Lyψ are 0. That is assuming, I'm on the right track.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you tried that out to see what you get?
    i.e. expand out the commutator.

Since you have ##\psi:\text{L}_z\psi=0## do you know what happens when you try to do ##\text{L}_x\psi##?

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    The question states Lz ψ = 0, I don't have any specific function for ψ. I think the question makes this claim because Lz= m*h-bar, and m=0 if l=0.

Could I possibly conclude that L^2 = 0 since l=0, and therefore L^2 = Lz^2+Lx^2+Ly^2 implies Lx = Ly =0?

L^2 = l(l+1)h-bar

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  5. Apr 17, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't need a specific function - you have to exploit the relationships: using your understanding of QM.
    The question is telling you that the system is prepared in an eigenstate of the Lz operator.

... consider: can operators take values by themselves?
    (you will need to be careful about this to do the problem)
    What does the ##l## quantum number refer to in this case?

Part of the reason these questions get set is to force you to do a long-winded exploration before finding the simple solution. Thus, you are best advised to settle on a direction for your inquiry and see it through rather than take random jumps around the theory.

Until you settle on something, there's not much I can do to help.
    Did you try any of the other suggestions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted