Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Matrix with repeated eigenvalues

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    The question is asking for what values of x will the matrix have at least one repeated eigenvalue (algebraic multiplicity of 2 or greater). The matrix is
    | 3 0 0 |
    | 0 x 2 | So naturally a normal attempt to find the eigenvalue in a question with only intergers
    | 0 2 x | I would continue with:

| [tex]\lambda[/tex]-3 0 0 |
    | 0 [tex]\lambda[/tex]-x -2|
    | 0 -2 [tex]\lambda[/tex]-x|

And then finding the determinant would continue with ([tex]\lambda[/tex]-3)([tex]\lambda[/tex]-x)([tex]\lambda[/tex]-x) - (-2)(-2)([tex]\lambda[/tex]-3) etc...

Except with 2 unknown variable it inevitably becomes a problem that I run into with more theoretical questions vs questions dealing only with numbers. As far as I know an eigenvalue with an algebraic multiplicity of >1 doesn't even have a geometric significance. Clearly I am approaching this entire question from the wrong angle and could use a push in the right direction if anyone is so able. Muchly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: Eigenvalues

I don't see why you need to be that theoretical!

The characteristic equation for the eigenvalues is obviously [itex](\lambda- 3)((\lambda- x)^2- 4)= 0. 3 is an obvious solution to that so in order to have a double root, either 3 is a root of [itex](\lambda- x)^2- 4= 0[/itex] or that equation has a double root. If 3 is a root then we must have [itex](3- x)^2- 4= x^2- 6x+ 5= (x- 3)(x- 2)= 0[/itex] so that x= 2 or 3. If [itex](\lambda- x)^2- 4= \lambda^2- 2x\lambda+ x^2- 4= 0[/itex] has a double root, then its discriminant must be 0: [itex]4x^2- 4(x^2- 4)= 4[/itex] is never 0 so that can't happen.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook