1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix with repeated eigenvalues

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    The question is asking for what values of x will the matrix have at least one repeated eigenvalue (algebraic multiplicity of 2 or greater). The matrix is
    | 3 0 0 |
    | 0 x 2 | So naturally a normal attempt to find the eigenvalue in a question with only intergers
    | 0 2 x | I would continue with:

| [tex]\lambda[/tex]-3 0 0 |
    | 0 [tex]\lambda[/tex]-x -2|
    | 0 -2 [tex]\lambda[/tex]-x|

And then finding the determinant would continue with ([tex]\lambda[/tex]-3)([tex]\lambda[/tex]-x)([tex]\lambda[/tex]-x) - (-2)(-2)([tex]\lambda[/tex]-3) etc...

Except with 2 unknown variable it inevitably becomes a problem that I run into with more theoretical questions vs questions dealing only with numbers. As far as I know an eigenvalue with an algebraic multiplicity of >1 doesn't even have a geometric significance. Clearly I am approaching this entire question from the wrong angle and could use a push in the right direction if anyone is so able. Muchly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Eigenvalues

I don't see why you need to be that theoretical!

The characteristic equation for the eigenvalues is obviously [itex](\lambda- 3)((\lambda- x)^2- 4)= 0. 3 is an obvious solution to that so in order to have a double root, either 3 is a root of [itex](\lambda- x)^2- 4= 0[/itex] or that equation has a double root. If 3 is a root then we must have [itex](3- x)^2- 4= x^2- 6x+ 5= (x- 3)(x- 2)= 0[/itex] so that x= 2 or 3. If [itex](\lambda- x)^2- 4= \lambda^2- 2x\lambda+ x^2- 4= 0[/itex] has a double root, then its discriminant must be 0: [itex]4x^2- 4(x^2- 4)= 4[/itex] is never 0 so that can't happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?