Matter cannot be created nor destroyed

• Thread starter dcderek24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, matter cannot be created nor destroyed, but it can be redistributed. Every time a baby is born, it is not a violation of the first law of thermodynamics as the baby's matter comes from the mother's diet during pregnancy. This process is a transformation of atomic compounds and does not involve the actual creation of matter. A balanced and healthy diet is crucial for the proper development of a baby.
dcderek24
if matter cannont be created nor destroyed? everytime a baby is born that's not matter being created.
now it may redistributed as someone said. if everything came from a single cell, wouldn't this violate the first law. isn't matter multiplying?
does this not apply with biological organisms?

NOTE: look guys I am not trying to prove the law wrong or anything I am just trying to understand. I am just learning about science. i was trapped in a church n hid from science my whole life. I am just trying to understand. don't take this question as me trying to disprove something

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything doesn't come from the single cell, per se.
That original cell takes in chemicals from the environment and uses those to "grow"

Biological organism eat. The food is converted into cells as needed.

Well, foistly, matter _can_ be created and destroyed. That's how the sun produces energy for us. The total amount of energy and matter seems to be constant thanks to Einstein.

But the kind of matter-creation you are asking about, birth and death and those sorts of things, is really aggregation rather than creation. They are "just" transformations of some kinds of atomic compounds into others. How the metabolic mechanism that implements this came about is an active area of research. However no actual atoms were destroyed in the course of generating this message -- well, assuming I'm running on fossil fuels and not nuclear power anyway...

dcderek24 said:
everytime a baby is born that's not matter being created.
Right. As they told/meant to you, the baby's matter comes mostly from what his/her mother ate during the pregnancy. So it's a way to transform oranges into babies.

fluidistic said:
So it's a way to transform oranges into babies.

Lol. Love it. Of course, there are a myriad other chemicals necessary for this to happen.
I would highly doubt that an "orange diet" alone would be sufficient for the growth of a healthy human baby.
Still, your point is well taken!

Good grief

This is a good question. It certainly appears that matter is created when a baby (Human or animal) is born. However, the other posters are right.

A woman's diet is used to produce the needed cells for a baby. For example: broccoli and oranges are high in calcium and thus help create bones. Butter and other fats help to create the myelin sheet in the brain. DNA is contains a variety of amino acids and the list goes on and on.

This is why it is so important a woman eat a healthy and balanced diet while pregnant. Missing nutrition wreaks havoc on a baby which is desperately trying to develop.

It's just an self-catalyzed reaction. From the chemical standpoint:

Male + female + food + oxygen --> Male + female + Baby + excrement + CO2

Or to put up an even simpler mass balance:
(Weight gained/lost) = (What goes into your body) - (what comes out of your body)

What is the meaning of "Matter cannot be created nor destroyed"?

This statement is known as the Law of Conservation of Mass, which means that in a closed system, the total mass of the system remains constant over time. This means that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed in form.

What evidence supports the Law of Conservation of Mass?

There are several experiments that support this law, including the burning of a candle, where the wax and oxygen combine to form carbon dioxide and water vapor, but the total mass remains the same. Another example is the melting of ice, where the solid ice turns into liquid water, but the total mass remains unchanged.

Can matter truly not be created or destroyed?

While matter cannot be created or destroyed in a closed system, it can be converted into other forms of matter through physical or chemical reactions. For example, during nuclear reactions, matter can be converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc².

What about the Big Bang Theory and the creation of the universe?

The Big Bang Theory does not contradict the Law of Conservation of Mass. It states that all matter and energy in the universe were already present at the beginning of the universe and have since been changing forms, but the total amount remains the same.

How does this law impact our daily lives?

The Law of Conservation of Mass is essential in fields such as chemistry and physics, where it helps scientists understand and predict the outcomes of reactions. It also has real-world applications, such as in waste management, where it is necessary to track the amount of waste produced and ensure it is properly disposed of without creating or destroying matter.