Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matter ingestion rate of blackholes

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1
    Sorry if my questions are rather naive, this is my first post on this forum.
    Whilst burshing my teeth, I was watching water drain from the sink and came up with a few rather curious questions.

Does the ingest of matter suggest by black holes suggest that the pressure of our universe is higher than that of the destination universe/multiverse?

Does the rate of matter consumption for black holes depend entirely on the size/mass?

Is there any calculation that exists to calculate the amount of matter consumed by a black hole of a specific size?

Could this be used to estimate the total amount of matter lost from our universe owing to black holes?

If so, is there any calculation that can be done to estimate the size of the destination universe/multiverse based on the ingest of matter from our universe?

Thanks
    -Richard

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Matter that falls into a black hole does not 'leave' our universe. A black hole continues to affect other objects in the universe with the collective gravity of all the matter it has 'consumed'. It is reasonable to assume this means the matter captured by a black hole at least retains its gravitational identity.

4. Aug 18, 2013 #3
    rj Welcome to the forum. I look upon matter inside a BH as being at the lowest possible level of gravitational potential energy. Energy must have been released on the way in. That's about as much as I hopefully know, lets see what the others say.

5. Aug 22, 2013 #4
    matter consumption = whatever matter goes into the black hole

and as chronos said the matter is still in our universe

the only type of matter "consumption" is black hole entropy(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_thermodynamics), which can be seen as absorbing virtual particles of negative mass, and that's only proportional to the horizon area of the black hole itself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook