Max acceleration w/ a tension limit

In summary: Newton's Second Law states that all forces, including tension, acting on a system must sum to the mass of the system times its acceleration.In summary, to find the maximum acceleration needed to raise the 710kg boulder from a 191m deep quarry, the weight of the chain and its maximum allowable tension of 2.8 times its weight must be taken into consideration. Applying Newton's Second Law to the entire system of "chain + boulder", the greatest tension is at the top of the chain and the sum of all forces, including tension, must equal the mass of the system times its acceleration.
j123

Homework Statement

A 710kg boulder is raised from a quarry 191m deep by a long uniform chain having a mass of 595kg. This chain is of uniform strength, but at any point it can support a maximum tension no greater than 2.80 times its weight without breaking.

How do i find the maximum acceleration in order to get it out of the quarry?

Attempted but all wrong... just need to be pointed in the right direction. the 2.8x is confusing. and I am lost to what equations i should use now.

know the Force includ gravity for 710kg is 6958N, and 595kg is 5831N...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
j123 said:
the 2.8x is confusing.
What's the weight of the chain? What's 2.8 times that weight? That's the maximum allowable tension.

Hint: Where along the chain will the tension be greatest?
and I am lost to what equations i should use now.
Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Doc Al said:
What's the weight of the chain? What's 2.8 times that weight? That's the maximum allowable tension.

Hint: Where along the chain will the tension be greatest?

Apply Newton's 2nd law.

-the weight of the chain is w=mg so 595kg*9.8= 5831N x 2.8 times is = 16326.8N.?

-where the boulder and the chain connects, i would say.

-Newton's 2nd law: EFx=ma.x EFy=ma.y (how many steps do i apply? and how?, I think only EFy is only used since it's going up) so Fy/m = a.

Last edited:
Remember, with Newton's Second Law, the EFy you have written represents the SUM of forces in the y direction. Identify all of those forces and include them in the equation!

Also, rethink the "where the boulder and the chain connects" statement!

Galileo's Ghost said:
Remember, with Newton's Second Law, the EFy you have written represents the SUM of forces in the y direction. Identify all of those forces and include them in the equation!

Also, rethink the "where the boulder and the chain connects" statement!

-so EFy is 6958N of boulder + 5831N of chain =12789N (isn't this divided by the two masses equal back to g?)

-the max tension is 16326.8N for the chain

-isn't the tension the greatest where the boulder pulls on the chain?

j123 said:
-so EFy is 6958N of boulder + 5831N of chain =12789N (isn't this divided by the two masses equal back to g?)

-the max tension is 16326.8N for the chain

-isn't the tension the greatest where the boulder pulls on the chain?

Don't forget to include tension in your sum! Also, pay attention to the direction of each of these forces as you set up the Second Law equation.

As far as the greatest tension, doesn't the boulder really just pull on a single link at the end of the chain? But then doesn't that link pull on the next link and that one pulls on the next link and so on... How would the magnitude of all these link pulls compare?

Galileo's Ghost said:
Don't forget to include tension in your sum! Also, pay attention to the direction of each of these forces as you set up the Second Law equation.

As far as the greatest tension, doesn't the boulder really just pull on a single link at the end of the chain? But then doesn't that link pull on the next link and that one pulls on the next link and so on... How would the magnitude of all these link pulls compare?

-OK, (i thought the tension was these two forces) I am actually really fustrated and completely out of this. Can you explain? and am i even close to the end?

i kinda gave up on this problem already, i really just want to know what I am doing wrong.

(will check on this later today)

Last edited:
j123 said:
-the weight of the chain is w=mg so 595kg*9.8= 5831N x 2.8 times is = 16326.8N.?
Good.
-where the boulder and the chain connects, i would say.
Think about it. The bottom link of the chain has to support the weight of the boulder, but the next highest link has to support not just the weight of the boulder but the weight of the chain beneath it as well.

Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law to the entire system of "chain + boulder".

Doc Al said:
Good.

Think about it. The bottom link of the chain has to support the weight of the boulder, but the next highest link has to support not just the weight of the boulder but the weight of the chain beneath it as well.

Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law to the entire system of "chain + boulder".

-so the greatest tension is at the top of the chain.

-so EFy is 6958N of boulder + 5831N of chain =12789N, right? (someone else said i should include the tension but i thought these were the only two forces and they are the T also)

j123 said:
-so the greatest tension is at the top of the chain.
Right.
-so EFy is 6958N of boulder + 5831N of chain =12789N, right? (someone else said i should include the tension but i thought these were the only two forces and they are the T also)
Those are the weights of the boulder and chain, which act downward. Don't forget the force pulling up on the chain, a force equal to the tension at the top of the chain.

1. What is "max acceleration" and how is it related to tension limit?

"Max acceleration" refers to the maximum rate of change of velocity that an object can achieve. Tension limit, on the other hand, is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it breaks or deforms. These two concepts are related because the tension limit determines the maximum acceleration that an object can experience without breaking.

2. How does increasing the tension limit affect the maximum acceleration?

In general, increasing the tension limit will allow for a higher maximum acceleration. This is because a higher tension limit means that the object can withstand a greater amount of force before breaking, therefore allowing for a higher rate of change in velocity.

3. Is there a limit to how much the acceleration can be increased by increasing the tension limit?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the acceleration can be increased. This is because even if the tension limit is increased, there may still be other factors that limit the acceleration, such as the mass of the object or the force being applied.

4. How do you calculate the maximum acceleration with a tension limit?

The maximum acceleration with a tension limit can be calculated by dividing the tension limit by the mass of the object. This will give you the maximum rate of change in velocity that the object can achieve without exceeding the tension limit.

5. Can the maximum acceleration be achieved consistently with a tension limit?

No, the maximum acceleration cannot be achieved consistently with a tension limit. This is because factors such as friction, air resistance, and other external forces can affect the acceleration of an object, making it difficult to achieve the exact maximum acceleration every time.