Gradient of a two term equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gradient and maximum gradient at a given point in a surface equation, as well as determining the nature of a stationary point in a different equation. The solution involves using the directional derivative and solving for alpha, which can have multiple solutions. The answers for the maximum gradient and nature of the stationary point are 2*sqrt(2) and minimum, respectively.
slain4ever

Homework Statement

1. for the surface z=9 - x^2 - y^2 find,
i) the gradient at (1,1,7) in the direction making an angle alpha with the x-axis
ii) the max gradient at the point (1,1,7) and the value of alpha for which it occurs

2. find the stationary point of z=x^2 +2x +3y^2 -3xy + 5 and determine the nature of this point

Homework Equations

this is what i need, I am not sure of the equation you use to differentiate an equation like this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to partially diff it with respect to x and then with respect to y,
but I don't know how to combine the 2 together so you can just put the numbers in and find the gradient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the directional derivative in your textbook. That's what you need for (i).

ah ok I read that and looked through the example but in the example the alpha was given

so i ended up with du f(x,y) = -2(1)cos(alpha) + -2(1)sin(alpha)

I'm not sure what to do next, if i put 7 on the left hand side the equation is false.

Or is this the answer? gradient m = -2cos(alpha) + -2sin(alpha) and i simply leave it at that and go onto part ii?EDIT: ok I am going to assume that the answer is: m = -2cos(alpha) + -2sin(alpha)

so now using that i got 2 * SQRT(2) = max gradient
and alpha = -135 degrees and alpha = 225 degrees
is this correct?

Last edited:
also for the 2nd question I got x=-4 and y=-2 but I don't know what it is asking for when it says determine the nature. does it just mean if it's a minimum or maximum?

Last edited:
slain4ever said:
ah ok I read that and looked through the example but in the example the alpha was given

so i ended up with du f(x,y) = -2(1)cos(alpha) + -2(1)sin(alpha)

I'm not sure what to do next, if i put 7 on the left hand side the equation is false.

Or is this the answer? gradient m = -2cos(alpha) + -2sin(alpha) and i simply leave it at that and go onto part ii?
Yes, that's right.
EDIT: ok I am going to assume that the answer is: m = -2cos(alpha) + -2sin(alpha)

so now using that i got 2 * SQRT(2) = max gradient
and alpha = -135 degrees and alpha = 225 degrees
is this correct?
How did you find these angles? One is correct; the other isn't.
slain4ever said:
also for the 2nd question I got x=-4 and y=-2 but I don't know what it is asking for when it says determine the nature. does it just mean if it's a minimum or maximum?
I think so. Remember it doesn't have to be a minimum or a maximum. It could also be a saddle point, for example.

i found the angles by solving for alpha 2*2^.5 = -2cos(alpha) - 2sin(alpha)
this gave alpha=45(8n-3)

then i just solved for n=0 and n=1
I'm not sure how many solutions this should have a bit more explanation of how to do the final step would be appreciated.from graphing i believe the point to be a minimum right?

Oh, sorry, I completely missed the sign on -135 degrees. That's the same angle as 225 degrees, so obviously, both answers are correct.

What was your reasoning that the maximum gradient was [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex]? It's correct, but I'm wondering how you figured it out.

In the second problem, the point is a minimum. You should be able to show it analytically by calculating derivatives.

2 * root(2) was found like this
m=-2xi -2yj
substitute 1,1
m(1,1)=-2i-2j
then take sqrt of the squares added together
SQRT((-2)^2 + (-2)^2)
= 2*sqrt(2)

but with the angles, when you solve the equation how many answers should I give since obviously the solution to anthing=sin(alpha) has infinite solutions, should I give the 2 angles already stated? more? less? leave the answer as alpha=45(8n-3)?

OK, so you've implicitly used the fact that m=∇f points along the direction of maximal change. That's what I was trying to figure out if you knew.

You do realize that the angles -135 degrees and 225 degrees specify the same angle and direction, right?

oh wow i just saw that, i honestly thought they were different directions and there were 2* n number of solutions. Herp derp
ok so i guess i just submit 225 as the angle and I am done, thank you for your time and assistance

1. What is the gradient of a two term equation?

The gradient of a two term equation is a measure of how steep the curve is at any given point. It represents the rate of change of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable.

2. How do you calculate the gradient of a two term equation?

The gradient of a two term equation can be calculated by taking the derivative of the equation with respect to the independent variable. This will give you an expression that represents the slope of the curve at any point.

3. What does a positive gradient indicate?

A positive gradient indicates that the dependent variable is increasing as the independent variable increases. This means that the curve is sloping upwards.

4. What does a negative gradient indicate?

A negative gradient indicates that the dependent variable is decreasing as the independent variable increases. This means that the curve is sloping downwards.

5. How does the gradient change along a two term equation?

The gradient can change along a two term equation depending on the values of the coefficients and exponents in the equation. In general, the gradient will become steeper as the independent variable increases, unless there are other factors that affect the slope of the curve.