1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient of a two term equation

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. for the surface z=9 - x^2 - y^2 find,
    i) the gradient at (1,1,7) in the direction making an angle alpha with the x axis
    ii) the max gradient at the point (1,1,7) and the value of alpha for which it occurs

2. find the stationary point of z=x^2 +2x +3y^2 -3xy + 5 and determine the nature of this point

2. Relevant equations

this is what i need, im not sure of the equation you use to differentiate an equation like this.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know you have to partially diff it with respect to x and then with respect to y,
    but I don't know how to combine the 2 together so you can just put the numbers in and find the gradient.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Look up the directional derivative in your textbook. That's what you need for (i).

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    ah ok I read that and looked through the example but in the example the alpha was given

so i ended up with du f(x,y) = -2(1)cos(alpha) + -2(1)sin(alpha)

I'm not sure what to do next, if i put 7 on the left hand side the equation is false.

Or is this the answer? gradient m = -2cos(alpha) + -2sin(alpha) and i simply leave it at that and go onto part ii?

EDIT: ok im going to assume that the answer is: m = -2cos(alpha) + -2sin(alpha)

so now using that i got 2 * SQRT(2) = max gradient
    and alpha = -135 degrees and alpha = 225 degrees
    is this correct?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. Aug 28, 2011 #4
    also for the 2nd question I got x=-4 and y=-2 but I don't know what it is asking for when it says determine the nature. does it just mean if it's a minimum or maximum?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  6. Aug 28, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's right.
    How did you find these angles? One is correct; the other isn't.
    I think so. Remember it doesn't have to be a minimum or a maximum. It could also be a saddle point, for example.

7. Aug 28, 2011 #6
    i found the angles by solving for alpha 2*2^.5 = -2cos(alpha) - 2sin(alpha)
    this gave alpha=45(8n-3)

then i just solved for n=0 and n=1
    I'm not sure how many solutions this should have a bit more explanation of how to do the final step would be appreciated.

from graphing i believe the point to be a minimum right?

8. Aug 28, 2011 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, sorry, I completely missed the sign on -135 degrees. That's the same angle as 225 degrees, so obviously, both answers are correct.

What was your reasoning that the maximum gradient was [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex]? It's correct, but I'm wondering how you figured it out.

In the second problem, the point is a minimum. You should be able to show it analytically by calculating derivatives.

9. Aug 28, 2011 #8
    2 * root(2) was found like this
    m=-2xi -2yj
    substitute 1,1
    m(1,1)=-2i-2j
    then take sqrt of the squares added together
    SQRT((-2)^2 + (-2)^2)
    = 2*sqrt(2)

but with the angles, when you solve the equation how many answers should I give since obviously the solution to anthing=sin(alpha) has infinite solutions, should I give the 2 angles already stated? more? less? leave the answer as alpha=45(8n-3)?

10. Aug 28, 2011 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

OK, so you've implicitly used the fact that m=∇f points along the direction of maximal change. That's what I was trying to figure out if you knew.

You do realize that the angles -135 degrees and 225 degrees specify the same angle and direction, right?

11. Aug 28, 2011 #10
    oh wow i just saw that, i honestly thought they were different directions and there were 2* n number of solutions. Herp derp
    ok so i guess i just submit 225 as the angle and im done, thank you for your time and assistance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook