1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximal duty cycle

Tags:
  1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assuming I have a 20V source on a “power resistor” which can withstand powers of up to 5 Watts on average before it excessively heats and damage begins. What is the DC current that runs through a resistor of 33ohm? What is its power dissipation? What is the maximal DC current I may run through it without damage, I5W? I am then asked to determine the maximal duty cycle allowed so the active load remains undamaged?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the DC current running through the resistor of 33ohm to be equal to 20/33=0.6A. The power equals I2R=11.9W. I5W=sqrt(5/33)=0.39A. Could the maximal duty cycle be found by simply dividing I5W by the first current, i.e. 0.39/0.6? If so, I am not quite sure why that is. Could someone kindly explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What would be the units of power/current? Do you think it could be a correct answer?

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3
    It's 0.39A (not Watt!). I see no problem with the units, nor with dividing 0.39 by 0.6 in order to obtain a figure which has no units, such as duty cycle.

5. Apr 9, 2015 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

P=I2*R

solve for I. Your resistor value is set (33 ohms). now you can find the current at any given power.....
    edit: oops, you already knew that

per your question, think about what you are doing.
    you are taking your max current assuming it is allways on, and dividing it by the max current your part can take.

Iavg=I*D

Pavg=Iavg2*R
    we know Iavg=I*D
    so
    Pavg=(I*D)2*R

you know what I will be based on your earlier equations, solve for D.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  6. Apr 9, 2015 #5
    Let's see whether I follow:
    What's Iavg? Is it 20v/33ohm=0.6A?
    And what's I? Is it I5W?

7. Apr 9, 2015 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

sorry I was kind of scatterbrained there.

I is the current through the resistor with 20 volts across it.
    Iavg is the average current through the resistor due to the duty cycle. so yes, by your notation Iavg=I5w

8. Apr 9, 2015 #7
    Great, thank you!

9. Apr 9, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are making my point. Units of amps are NOT a dimensionless ratio, which is what a duty cycle is.

10. Apr 9, 2015 #9
    What I carried out was Amp/Amp!

11. Apr 9, 2015 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was looking at your statement "dividing I5W by the first current" which is what I was alerting you to. Watts divided by amps is NOT dimensionless, it's volts.

12. Apr 9, 2015 #11
    I5W is capital I (=current) and 5W as intended subscript, i.e. current for P=5W. Never mind.

13. Apr 9, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah ha. Clearly I was not paying close enough attention. Sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted