Maximize value that triple integral will compute

In summary, the conversation was about a question on an exam regarding the maximum value of a given triple integral. The professor's solution involved splitting up the absolute value inequality into 4 cases and solving a double integral multiplied by 4. The person asking the question did not understand how it became a double integral and suspected that the problem may have been misprinted. They also mentioned that previous problems of this type typically involved all three variables in the integrand.
Lavoisier44

Homework Statement

This is a question an exam I already took but I felt as though the solution posted by the professor might be incorrect so I wanted to hear some other opinions. The question is as follows:
What is the maximum value that [tex] \iiint (-|x|-|y|+1)\,dV [/tex] will compute for any region [tex] D \subset R3 [/tex]

We were supposed to come up with the bounds for (so I thought) the triple integral and then integrate the given integrand over them to find our result. Now, the result he attained was found by splitting up the absolute value inequality (setting the integrand greater than zero since we are supposed to maximize) into 4 cases and by symmetry solving a DOUBLE integral multiplied by 4 to compute the answer. I don't understand how it became a double integral. My gut told me that the answer was infinity(this is my attempt at a solution, I don't see how it doesn't equal this result) because there aren't any implied bounds for the z axis in the given function. The only problems like this that I have seen before always involved an integrand including all three variables that usually resulted in a sphere as your bounds of integration. I will be asking him about it today but I thought I'd see what others had to say too.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that the problem is misprinted and intended to be a double integral in R2. You would integrate over the square |x|+|y| ≤ 1 to maximize the integral, just as you seem to think.

Thanks for the reply. That was my guess too. He has made mistakes in his problems before so...

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional space and can be represented as ∫∫∫f(x,y,z)dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dV represents an infinitesimal volume element.

2. How do you interpret the value of a triple integral?

The value of a triple integral represents the volume of the three-dimensional region bounded by the function being integrated and the limits of integration. This can be thought of as the amount of space that the region occupies in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the purpose of maximizing value in a triple integral?

The purpose of maximizing value in a triple integral is to find the maximum volume that can be obtained by varying the limits of integration and the function being integrated. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to find the optimal solution for a given problem.

4. What factors affect the value of a triple integral?

The value of a triple integral can be affected by the function being integrated, the limits of integration, and the shape of the three-dimensional region. It can also be influenced by any constraints or conditions imposed on the problem being solved.

5. Can a triple integral have a negative value?

Yes, a triple integral can have a negative value. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values or when the region being integrated has a complex shape that results in some parts of the integral contributing negatively to the overall value. It is important to consider the context of the problem being solved when interpreting the sign of a triple integral's value.