Simply supported beam: bending moment, deflection and strain gauge verification

  • Thread starter Thread starter oxon88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beams
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 26K views
Steamking should I be used for the sum of deflections, 5kNm-1 udl load, 20kN or 30kN point loads to determine. What I value for the beam would be required to halve the maximum
deflection of the beam ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the total deflection the sum of the individual deflections caused by the UDL and the two point loads?

What would happen if you took the formulas for the deflections caused by each of these loads and added them up?

Don't you get [Bunch of Stuff] / EI + [Bunch of Stuff] / EI + [Bunch of Stuff] / EI ?

How does the value of I influence the value of the deflection of the beam?
 
Oxon88, how did you do with these questions? Were the answers you provided correct? Seem to be struggling with this and could use some guidamnce...