Maximizing Patio Garden Space: Calculating Flower Bed Width with Maths Problem

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
In summary, Bob has £140 to spend on paving slabs for his patio garden. The paving slabs are 70 x 70 cm square and cost £2.80 each. He can only buy enough slabs to lay an area that is twice as long as it is wide and will not cover the whole patio. He decides to leave the remaining area as a rectangular flower bed down one side. If his patio garden is 5 m wide, the flower bed will be 1.5 m wide. The maximum number of slabs he can buy is 25. To determine the width of the flower bed, an equation can be formed as 2x^2 + x - 35 = 0, where x represents
nokia8650
Bob has £140 to spend on paving slabs for his patio garden. Paving slabs are 70 x 70 cm
square and cost £2.80 each. He finds that, using whole slabs, he is only able to buy
enough to lay an area which is twice as long as it is wide but will not cover the whole patio.
He decides to leave the remainder as a rectangular flower bed down one side.

If his patio garden is 5 m wide, how wide is the flower bed?

A 1.4 m

B 1.5 m

C 2.0 m

D 3.5 m

E 7.0 m

I am struggling with the question above - can anyone please advise me on how to tackle it? The correct answer is B.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How many slabs can he buy at most?
Suppose the width of the covered area is x tiles, can you think of an equation for x that mathematically describes the third sentence? (Or, if you want, you can let x be the width, of the tiling -- that is equivalent).

And yes, the correct answer is B.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I understand the problem now, your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks again!

What is the definition of a "Maths problem"?

A "Maths problem" is a question or exercise that requires the use of mathematical concepts, formulas, and operations to find a solution or answer.

Why is it important to solve "Maths problems"?

Solving "Maths problems" helps develop critical thinking skills, improves problem-solving abilities, and enhances mathematical understanding. It is also essential in many fields, such as science, engineering, finance, and technology.

What are some strategies for solving "Maths problems"?

Some strategies for solving "Maths problems" include understanding the problem, identifying relevant information, creating a plan or method, checking the solution, and practicing regularly.

What are some common mistakes people make when solving "Maths problems"?

Some common mistakes people make when solving "Maths problems" include misinterpreting the problem, using incorrect formulas or operations, making careless errors, and not checking their work.

How can I improve my skills in solving "Maths problems"?

To improve your skills in solving "Maths problems," you can practice regularly, seek help from a teacher or tutor, work with others to solve problems, and review your mistakes to understand and learn from them.

Back