1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum acceleration of a front-wheel drive car

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the badly loaded front-wheel-drive minibus shown in Figure Q26 the centre of gravity
    has been moved away from the driving wheels, determine the max acceleration possible in
    m/s2 if l=3.0 m, h=1 m, and the static co efficient of friction μs = 0.3.

(Image is attached below)

A - 2.12
    B - 0.89
    C - 1.34
    D - 1.63
    E - 1.15

2. Relevant equations
    Ok well two possible equations, the one I used first of all was a = μs * g * fraction of g on front wheel (using moments)

Although I have another equation which says a = μ * g * (distance from back wheel/(distance between wheels - μ * height))

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the first equation I get a = 0.3 * g * 1/3 = 0.98 ~ 0.89 Which is B
    Using the second equation I get a = 0.3 * g * (1/3-0.3) = 1.09 ~ 1.15 Which is E

Are either of these equations correct? And if so which one?

Edit Just realised that if I change the sign of the second equation to a + (1/3+0.3) I get exactly 0.89? Coincidence?

Any help would be great

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In your first attempt, the normal forces on the wheels do not split 2/3, 1/3 when the car is accelerating. In your second attempt, are you using some equation you found somewhere, or doing some calculation which you don't show?

4. May 6, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No coincidence. Can you derive the correct form of the equation? Have you perhaps taken the equation you quoted from a different context?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted