Maximum altitude of a rocket engine

In summary, the rocket is launched at an angle of 53 above the horizontal with an initial speed of 100 m/s. After 3 seconds, the engines fail and the rocket continues to move as a free body. The maximum altitude reached by the rocket is 1521.5 m, the total time of flight is 36.1 s, and the range is 4045 m. However, these answers do not match with the correct values of 374.590653 m for maximum altitude, 36.1 s for total time of flight, and 4045 m for range. It seems that the component of the rocket's initial acceleration in both the x and y
imatreyu

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched at an angle of 53 above the horizontal with an initial speed of 100 m/s. It moves along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 30 m/s^2 for 3 s. A this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a free body.

a. Find maximum altitude. =1521.5 m (Correct answer, according to some sources. . .)
b. Its total time of flight = 36.1 s (Correct answer, according to some sources. . .)
c. It's range =4045 m (Correct answer, according to some sources. . .)

I have completed this problem, however my answers do not seem to agree with what the correct answers are supposed to be. The correct answers are noted above. Could someone please point out where I went wrong? I feel like I understand why my process should work, but it's clearly wrong. . .

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
-The engine stops working at this vertical height: dy =100 sin 53 (3) + 1/2 (30) (3^2)=374.590653
-The rocket's speed after the engines fail is: vf= vi + at = 100 + 30 (3) = 190 m/s
-When the rocket fails, it is still moving at the original angle. Resolved, the vertical velocity is: viy= 190sin53

So: vf^2= vi^2 - 2gd ---> d = -vi^2 / (-2 (9.8)) = 1174.757871

Then, to find the maximum altitude: 1174.757871 + 374.590653 = 1549.35 m

b.
-Time with the engine working is given = 3s.

-Time w/o the engine: vf = vi +at --> 0 = 190sin53 -9.8t --> t= 15.48374968s

-Time to fall: vf= vi + at --> t= vf-vi/a--> t= (squareroot 2ad )/a --> t= (squareroot 2 * 9.8 * 1549.35)/ 9.8 = 17.78184123 s

Adding all three values together = 36.26559091 s.c.
There are two different horizontal velocities: 100cos53 and 190cos53. I solve for both:

For the acceleration period, the horizontal range should be:
dx= 100cos53 (3) + 1/2 (30) 3^2
dx= 315.5445069

For the time after the engines fail:
dx= 190cos53 (33.26559091) + 0 (there is no horizontal acceleration after the engines fail)

Added together, the two values give a horizontal range of= 4119.293656 m.Thank you in advance! I very much appreciate any help given to identify what I am doing wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
In First Part you have not taken component of rocket's initial acceleration in y direction
dy =100 sin 53 (3) + 1/2 (30) (3^2)sin53 = 347.406

In Third Part you have not taken component of rocket's initial acceleration in x direction
When engine fails at this point use
equation of trajectory
y=xtanA-(gx^2)/(2u^2Cos^2A)
A= 53

1. What is the maximum altitude that a rocket engine can reach?

The maximum altitude that a rocket engine can reach depends on several factors, such as the type of rocket engine, the amount and type of fuel used, and the weight of the rocket. However, on average, rocket engines can reach altitudes of up to 100 miles or more.

2. What is the main purpose of determining the maximum altitude of a rocket engine?

The main purpose of determining the maximum altitude of a rocket engine is to ensure that the rocket is capable of reaching the desired destination or completing its intended mission. It also helps in designing and optimizing the rocket's performance and efficiency.

3. How do scientists calculate the maximum altitude of a rocket engine?

Scientists use mathematical equations and models to calculate the maximum altitude of a rocket engine. These calculations take into account various factors such as the rocket's thrust, velocity, and atmospheric conditions to determine the maximum altitude that the engine can reach.

4. Can the maximum altitude of a rocket engine be improved?

Yes, the maximum altitude of a rocket engine can be improved by making advancements in rocket engine technology, using more efficient fuels, and reducing the weight of the rocket. Extensive research and testing are also crucial in improving the maximum altitude of a rocket engine.

5. Is there a limit to how high a rocket engine can reach?

Yes, there is a limit to how high a rocket engine can reach. The Earth's atmosphere gradually thins out as altitude increases, and at a certain point, the air becomes too thin for the rocket engine to operate efficiently. This is known as the Kármán line, which is approximately 62 miles above the Earth's surface.