1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maximum altitude of a rocket in 2D motion and free body motion

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rocket is launched at an angle of 53 above the horizontal with an initial speed of 75 m/s. It moves for 25s along it's initial line of motion with an overall acceleration of 25 m/22. At this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a freebody.

a) What is the rocket's maximum altitude?

2. Relevant equations

displacement = V1time + (1/2)a(time)2
    V2 = V1 + 2adisplacement

3. The attempt at a solution

I've googled this question after attempting it, and have seen several different methods from my own.

For part a, I'm interpreting it as the maximum vertical displacement. I set up a vector diagram, where the angle between the average velocity vector and horizontal velocity vector is 53. I use sin ratio to solve for the opposite, which is sinTHETA x hyp. This gives me 60m/s. I do the same process to find the vertical acceleration, which is 20.0 m/s2. I plug them into the displacement equation, solve to get 7750m.

Now for the free body motion. Velocity will equal 0 when it gets to it's top. I use the second equation to rearrange for displacement. V2 is 0, V1 is -602, acceleration is -9.81. Essentially, displacement is a negative value. Meaning the max. altitude is still 7750m.

Makes sense to me, but I applied the same approach to a different question (identical) with diff. values. The answer was way off. (I did this to see if my approach was right).

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    What will be the rocket's velocity when it runs out of fuel?

V1 isn't 60m/s because the rocket has been accelerating.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook