Maximum electric force felt by the raindrop

In summary, the maximum electric force felt by a third drop with charge Q at an arbitrary point on the y axis can be found by using Coulomb's Law and finding the y value for which the force is maximized. This can be done by moving the third charge, varying y, to maximize |F(y)|. The closer Q is to both q's, the more force it experiences, but if it was lined up with them on the x-axis, the net force would be 0. The maximum force will occur somewhere in between the origin and a very far distance from the charges.
veevee
Suppose 2 drops with equal charge q are on the x-axis at x=+-a. Find the maximum electric force felt by a third drop with charge Q at an arbitrary point on the y axis.

from the symmetry we can deduce that the x components cancel and the net force is in the y direction. the y component is same for both charges.

I used Coulomb's Law to get the equation

F=2((kqQ)/a2+y2)(y/sqrt(a2+y2) j(hat)

=(2kqQy)/(a2+y2)3/2 j(hat)

I know that the next step is to find the y value for which the force is maximized, however I'm not too sure on how to do that. I thought maybe the y is max when the charges a are at the origin, but I don't think that the charges could be moved over to the origin for this calculation.

any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. You can't move the charges on the x-axis; or mathematically speaking, a is a constant. What you can do is move the third charge, that is, vary y, to maximize |F(y)|.

hmm...

so since the length from the q charge to the Q charge is inversely proportional to the force felt by Q (1/y), the closer Q is to both q's, the more force it experiences. But if it was the lined up with them on the x axis, the net force would be 0. So, do I need to make it as close to the origin as possible? And would other equations, such as F=qE need to be incorporated to solve for y?

thanks for helping me

As close to the origin as possible would be at the origin, where, you have already noted, the force is 0. If Q is very far away, again the force is essentially 0. So the maxima occur somewhere in between.

You already have the expression for the force. Just find where it's attains a maximum. This is a math problem now.

As a scientist, my response would be:

Thank you for providing your calculations and thought process for finding the maximum electric force felt by a third drop. Your use of Coulomb's Law is a valid approach to solving this problem. To find the y value for which the force is maximized, you can take the derivative of the force equation with respect to y and set it equal to 0. This will give you the critical points where the force is either maximized or minimized. From there, you can determine which point corresponds to the maximum force by evaluating the second derivative at that point. I hope this helps guide your further calculations.

1. What is the maximum electric force felt by a raindrop?

The maximum electric force felt by a raindrop varies depending on several factors, such as the size and shape of the raindrop, the strength and direction of the electric field, and the conductivity of the surrounding air. However, it is typically in the range of 0.01 to 10 newtons.

2. How is the maximum electric force felt by a raindrop calculated?

The maximum electric force felt by a raindrop can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the raindrop, and E is the electric field strength. The charge of the raindrop can be determined based on its size and the properties of the surrounding air, while the electric field strength can be measured using specialized equipment.

3. What factors affect the maximum electric force felt by a raindrop?

Several factors can affect the maximum electric force felt by a raindrop, including the size and shape of the raindrop, the strength and direction of the electric field, and the conductivity of the surrounding air. Additionally, the presence of other charged particles or objects in the vicinity can also influence the electric force experienced by the raindrop.

4. Can the maximum electric force felt by a raindrop be harmful?

In most cases, the maximum electric force felt by a raindrop is not harmful to humans or the environment. However, in extreme cases, such as during lightning storms, the electric force experienced by raindrops can be significantly higher and potentially dangerous. It is important to seek shelter during these situations to avoid exposure to high electric forces.

5. How does the maximum electric force felt by a raindrop affect the formation of thunderstorms?

The maximum electric force felt by raindrops is a crucial factor in the formation of thunderstorms. As raindrops fall through the atmosphere, they can accumulate charge and create an electric field. When this electric field becomes strong enough, it can lead to lightning strikes and the formation of thunderstorms. Therefore, the maximum electric force felt by raindrops plays a significant role in the development and intensity of thunderstorms.