Maximum height using Newton's second law

In summary: Newton's second law is the law that states that the acceleration of an object is proportional to the mass of the object and the gravitational force acting on it.
Trobocop
a small object with mass m=10gr is thrown vertically upwards from the surface of Earth with a velocity v=10m/s

i need to find the max height(Hmax) (when v=0) and the time(tmax) when the object reaches the max height by using Newton's second law only.

(ignore the effect of air and air resistance to the object).

Physics news on Phys.org
Trobocop said:
a small object with mass m=10gr is thrown vertically upwards from the surface of Earth with a velocity v=10m/s

i need to find the max height(Hmax) (when v=0) and the time(tmax) when the object reaches the max height by using Newton's second law only.

(ignore the effect of air and air resistance to the object).

What equations do you know that may help here?

I'm trying to solve this with [itex]\vec{F}[/itex]=m*a→[itex]\vec{F}[/itex]=m*d2[itex]\vec{r}[/itex]/dt2
and FB(the weight)=m*g

so F=-FB*[itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

but then the mass disappears so i am sure I'm doing this wrong, because the exercise tells me the mass of the object. i have to use it somehow
if i ignore this, i integrate the above equation then i put u=0 and i find tmax. then by using the equation of motion i find the max height. the numbers are correct because i tried it with energy equations but i am sure it's the wrong way.

You don't have to use all the data points all the time... using conservation of energy seems like a good plan for max height to me.

sjb-2812 said:
You don't have to use all the data points all the time... using conservation of energy seems like a good plan for max height to me.

yes i know but the exercise says it clearly to use only Newton's second law. that's why I'm stuck

OK then. What is Newton's second law? F = ma. From this you can derive the equations of motion for constant acceleration. Does that help any?

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration it experiences.

2. How does Newton's second law relate to maximum height?

Newton's second law can be applied to calculate the maximum height an object can reach when thrown or launched vertically. This is because the force acting on the object, its mass, and the acceleration due to gravity all play a role in determining its maximum height.

3. What is the formula for calculating maximum height using Newton's second law?

The formula for calculating maximum height using Newton's second law is h = (v2sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does increasing the initial velocity affect the maximum height?

Increasing the initial velocity of an object will result in a higher maximum height. This is because the higher the initial velocity, the greater the force and the acceleration experienced by the object, leading to a higher maximum height according to Newton's second law.

5. Can Newton's second law be applied to all objects?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to all objects regardless of their mass, shape, or size. This is because the law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass, meaning that the same law applies to all objects regardless of their differences.