Maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion

However, the kinetic energy is only maximum at the point of projection because air resistance has been neglected in the question. In summary, the maximum kinetic energy in a simple parabolic projectile motion is found at the point of projection, as air resistance has been neglected.
Elena14
Finding the maximum kinetic energy in a simple parabolic projectile motion requires us to find the maximum velocity. I know that the velocity will be maximum at two points, the point of projection and point of return.

So there must be two points where the kinetic energy is maximum. But my textbook only says it is maximum at the point of projection. Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drag.

Bystander said:
Drag.
Air resistance has been neglected in the question.

Elena14 said:
Air resistance has been neglected in the question.
Then I believe you are right.
Elena14 said:
I know that the velocity will be maximum at two points, the point of projection and point of return.

1. What is maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, maximum kinetic energy refers to the highest amount of energy that an object has while in motion. This energy is dependent on the mass, velocity, and direction of the projectile.

2. How is maximum kinetic energy calculated in projectile motion?

The maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion can be calculated using the formula KE max = 1/2 * m * v2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This formula is derived from the basic equation for kinetic energy, KE = 1/2 * m * v2.

3. Is the maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion constant?

No, the maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion is not constant. It changes as the object moves and its velocity and direction change. The maximum kinetic energy is at its highest when the object reaches its maximum height and then decreases as it falls back to the ground.

4. How does air resistance affect maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion by slowing down the object's velocity. This is because air resistance acts as a force opposing the motion of the object, reducing its speed and therefore its kinetic energy.

5. Can the maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion be greater than the initial energy?

Yes, the maximum kinetic energy in projectile motion can be greater than the initial energy. This is because as the object moves, it may gain additional energy from external forces such as gravity or a propelling force. However, the total energy of the system will remain constant, following the law of conservation of energy.