Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum power transfer theorem leading to erroneous result Why?

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody,

Below is a circuit that I am investigating. All the components are linear, nothing fancy here.

circ1.jpg

My goal is to maximize the average power P dissipated in the resistor Re. To this aim, I am only allowed to play with the angular frequency ω of the voltage source and with the value of the resistor Re. All the other parameters are set to fixed values.

First approach: from Kirschoff's law, I derive an expression for the average power P dissipated in Re. I have then to solve simultaneously dP/dRe=0 and dP/dω=0 in terms of Re and ω. The second equation does however correspond to a high order polynomial in ω (7th I think I remember) for which analytical solutions are not known.

Second approach: I transform the initial circuit into the Thevenin equivalent shown below. I then apply the maximum power transfer theorem stating that maximum power will be dissipated in Ze when Ze=Zm*. If some conditions on the parameters other than Re and ω are fulfilled, I obtain two couples of solution in Re and ω respecting Ze=Zm*. And here comes my problem: while these couple of solutions respect dP/dRe=0 from the first approach, they are not solutions of dP/dω=0.
    circ2.jpg

While one may suggest an error in the derivations, I checked it many times with symbolic computations software. I rather believe that the maximum power transfer theorem does not yield in the particular situation that I consider, but I do not manage in finding the reason, neither from a mathematical or physical point of view. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

The maximum power theorem deals gives the optimum load impedance (Ze) for a given power supply impedance (Zm).

I don't think it applies here, because, by allowing ω to alter, you no longer have a given (i.e. constant) Zm. You alter both Ze and Zm at the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook