Maximum power transfer theorem leading to erroneous result Why?

In summary, the conversation discusses two approaches to maximizing the average power dissipated in a circuit with a linear voltage source and resistor Re. The first approach uses Kirschoff's law to derive an expression for the average power and then solves for the maximum power by setting the derivative of power with respect to Re and ω to zero. However, the second equation yields a high order polynomial for which analytical solutions are not known. The second approach involves transforming the circuit into its Thevenin equivalent and applying the maximum power transfer theorem. However, this approach does not yield solutions that satisfy both dP/dRe=0 and dP/dω=0. The conversation ends with a discussion on the limitations of the maximum power transfer theorem in this
Barloud
Hi everybody,

Below is a circuit that I am investigating. All the components are linear, nothing fancy here.

circ1.jpg

My goal is to maximize the average power P dissipated in the resistor Re. To this aim, I am only allowed to play with the angular frequency ω of the voltage source and with the value of the resistor Re. All the other parameters are set to fixed values.

First approach: from Kirschoff's law, I derive an expression for the average power P dissipated in Re. I have then to solve simultaneously dP/dRe=0 and dP/dω=0 in terms of Re and ω. The second equation does however correspond to a high order polynomial in ω (7th I think I remember) for which analytical solutions are not known.

Second approach: I transform the initial circuit into the Thevenin equivalent shown below. I then apply the maximum power transfer theorem stating that maximum power will be dissipated in Ze when Ze=Zm*. If some conditions on the parameters other than Re and ω are fulfilled, I obtain two couples of solution in Re and ω respecting Ze=Zm*. And here comes my problem: while these couple of solutions respect dP/dRe=0 from the first approach, they are not solutions of dP/dω=0.
circ2.jpg

While one may suggest an error in the derivations, I checked it many times with symbolic computations software. I rather believe that the maximum power transfer theorem does not yield in the particular situation that I consider, but I do not manage in finding the reason, neither from a mathematical or physical point of view. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The maximum power theorem deals gives the optimum load impedance (Ze) for a given power supply impedance (Zm).

I don't think it applies here, because, by allowing ω to alter, you no longer have a given (i.e. constant) Zm. You alter both Ze and Zm at the same time.

1. What is the maximum power transfer theorem?

The maximum power transfer theorem states that the maximum power is transferred from a source to a load when the impedance of the load is equal to the complex conjugate of the source's internal impedance.

2. How does the maximum power transfer theorem work?

The theorem works by ensuring that the load receives the maximum amount of power from the source, as any other combination of impedance values will result in a lower power transfer. This is achieved by matching the impedances, which minimizes the losses in the circuit.

3. What leads to an erroneous result when using the maximum power transfer theorem?

One common mistake when applying the theorem is not accounting for the losses in the circuit. This can result in an overestimation of the power transfer, leading to an erroneous result.

4. How can the maximum power transfer theorem be used correctly?

To use the theorem correctly, it is important to consider the losses in the circuit and factor them into the calculation. This can be done by using the maximum power transfer theorem in combination with other circuit analysis techniques, such as Thevenin's or Norton's theorem.

5. What are some practical applications of the maximum power transfer theorem?

The maximum power transfer theorem is commonly used in power systems, such as in designing power transmission lines, to ensure maximum efficiency. It is also used in audio systems to match the impedance of the speakers to the amplifier for optimal power transfer. Additionally, it is used in electronic circuits to maximize the power delivered to a load, reducing heat dissipation and improving efficiency.