1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum speed of car round banked bend

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car mass m drives round a bend in a circular arc radius 44m with the road banked at an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] where tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]=3/4. The coefficient of friction [tex]\mu[/tex]=0.6 of the car with the road. What is the maximum velocity the car can travel at without sliding up the banked road?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma F=mv^2/r Friction(max)=[tex]\mu[/tex]r
    3^2 + 4^2= 5^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    The normal reaction force R perpendicular to the bank will be mgcos[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Component of R towards teh center of horizontal circle = R/sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] = mg4/3

mv^2/r= 0.6x0.8mgxcos[tex]\alpha[/tex] + mg4/3
    v^2/44=0.384g +g4/3

I've always struggled with this type of question due to taking the wrong components for reaction forces etc so would greatly appreciate any help to see if this is right.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Take the components of the forces along and normal to the slope. It'll seem easier. Draw the freebody diagram. At the maximum speed, the static frcition force along the slope is max.

(Don't plug in numbers to make it messy -- use symbols.)
  4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    Yeah i know...this was actually in a test i did this morning so i did draw out everything. Basically this was the answer i did in the test and I still stand by after working through it again but was just wanting to see if it was actually right
  5. Jan 24, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

After simplification,

= g[sin(theta) + kcos(theta)]/[cos(theta) - ksin(theta)]
    = g[tan(theta) + k]/[1 - ktan(theta)],

which gives me v = 32.5 m/s.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    ah thanks alot! shame i didnt get it right tho lol
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?