Maximum stress in beams with different cross sections

In summary: Finally plug all of these values into your equation to find the maximum stress.In summary, the problem requires calculating the maximum stress for points A, B, and C using the equation σ = y*F*L / 4*I. However, this equation may not be correct and a more detailed problem statement is needed to determine the type of stress (bending, shear, or combined) and to properly derive the bending moment function.
shaw600

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
1z5t9mo.png

I have to calculate the maximum stress for A, B and C.

Homework Equations

I used:

σ = y*F*L / 4*I (but I don't think this is right)

σ = maximum stress
y = Perpendicular distance from to neutral axis
F = load
L = length of beam
I = moment of Inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

Using:
σ = y*F*L / 4*I

I got the following:
A = 1.241
B = 5.562
C = 4.085

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is not clear. Is stress bending stress? Is it shear stress? Is it combined stress?

In any event, your formula for stress is suspect. First, you should draw a free body diagram of your beam with the applied loads. Construct the shear and bending moment curves from that.

Yea you need to be a bit more specific with the problem statement. Although I assume your problem is for maximum bending stress. In that case your equation is suspect still. Your maximum bending stress will occur where the bending moment is maximum and the selected point is the maximum distance from the beam's neutral axis. So to even consider your problem you'll need to derive the bending moment function first and find the point at which it is maximum, then compute the neutral axis location on each cross section and find the maximum distance from each.

1. What is maximum stress in beams with different cross sections?

Maximum stress in beams with different cross sections refers to the highest amount of stress that a beam can withstand before it experiences failure or deformation.

2. How is maximum stress calculated in beams with different cross sections?

Maximum stress in beams with different cross sections is calculated using the formula σmax = My/I, where M is the maximum bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross section.

3. What factors affect the maximum stress in beams with different cross sections?

The maximum stress in beams with different cross sections is affected by factors such as the shape and size of the cross section, the material properties of the beam, and the applied load or bending moment.

4. How does the cross section of a beam affect the maximum stress?

The cross section of a beam plays a significant role in determining the maximum stress it can withstand. Beams with larger cross sections are able to distribute the load over a larger area, resulting in lower maximum stress. On the other hand, beams with smaller cross sections are more susceptible to higher maximum stress.

5. Why is it important to consider maximum stress in beams with different cross sections?

Understanding the maximum stress in beams with different cross sections is crucial in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. It helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate beam sizes and materials to use in order to withstand the expected loads and prevent failure.